Naming Your Kids: My True Calling

Me and My New Nephew
Here's my dream job: I set up a desk in the maternity wing of a hospital and assist new parents with naming their babies.

In this position, I'd inject more variety in the names and clean up the odd spelling choices people make (and, I have to assume, later regret).  

Not that the "popular" names are bad. Olivia, Sophia, Emma/Emily and Lily are lovely names! And Braden, Aiden, Jayden are also beautiful for boys. But as a the bearer of the most popular name in my generation, sharing your name with three girls in your class stinks. So, while, yes, I love pretty names -- being a Jessica A, Jessica R, or Jessica C. is not awesome.  

And why am I qualified for this job? I love names. I collect names like a hobby. New names are rolled around on my tongue, tested for possible playground variations and inherent characteristics. Then, I mentally collect a list of favorite names that change completely every few months -- just in case.

Here's this month's favorite names:

Girls
Odette
Leona
Annabelle
Polly
Rosie

Boys
Cassel
Abel 
Dashiell
Willem
(Boys names are harder.)

So, am I hired? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project