The Easy-Peasy Ballet Barre

Handrail Bracket
We have a ballerina who lives in our house. So we thought it would be fun to install a simple ballet barre in her bedroom. This may have been the easiest DIY project ever. And not expensive at all.

Here's the breakdown:

  • $5 for each handrail bracket, I got two in white
  • $5 for the 4' pine closet rod, which I cut to size
  • $10 for the mirror 
  • $0 for the purple spray paint I had leftover from another project
The first step was the toughest ... and that was clear a space in the kid's bedroom. I won't lie, her room usually looks like a toy hurricane just blew in, so I took this opportunity to sort and trash about 45% off what you see here. And I relocated her desk to the other side of the room. 

BEFORE: The Mess!
Brief sidenote: We discussed installing the bar in the basement but "there are too many spiders" down there. Arghh!

Next, we painted the pine rod a dark purple, which looks nice with her lavender walls. Once dried, I installed the brackets using my extra-long level and easily attached the bar along the top using my drill.

Work in Progress!
Next, I added the mirror, which goes up pretty quickly thanks to the little plastic brackets that come in the kit. 

And that was basically it. Done. 

AFTER: The Completed Barre!
Ugh, the Mirror Shows All the Messes
You could add more mirrors or make the bar longer/shorter, depending on your space. But for $25 bucks and one cloudy afternoon, it's a pretty easy win.

And by the way: Pottery Barn sells a ballet bar kit for $159 ... so you win.



Related posts:
All my project posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project