Romantic Books for Valentine's Day

Looking for love in the pages of a book? I've got you covered.

I love love! My preferred genre is anything to do with romance and falling in love. I watch romantic comedies and I read all kinds of romance novels -- from teen to fantasy to adult. As long as there's witty dialogue and people falling in love (kissing!), I'm in.

Anyway, if you're looking for love, here are a few of my favorite lovey-dovey stories that I recommend for this Valentine's Day.

Natural Born Charmer (adult romance - contemporary) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips  - Find it here
Widely-regarded as the queen of the romantic comedy (though she publishes less and less books these days), this title is my absolute favorite. Blue and Dean are so well-suited for each other and so flawed at the same time.

Just One Day (YA romance) by Gayle Forman - Find it here
A teen tour of Europe + a rogue Shakespeare production + an adorable, blonde Danish boy = one very romantic day in Paris. It's all about the sun-dappled atmosphere of Paris and some very sweet conversations. There's a second book and then a third novella. And it's all so so so good. 

Anna and the French Kiss (YA romance) by Stephanie Perkins - Find it here
Ok, yes, another book set in Paris, but it's just sooo romantic. And cute. First love is always cute. Anna is sent to a private high school in Paris and gets tangled in a group of established friends. This book kicked off a loosely-connected book series and they're all just fabulous.

Smooth-Talking Stranger (Adult romance - contemporary) by Lisa Kleypas - Find it here
This author does both contemporary and historical romance, and she's fantastic at both, which isn't common or easy. In this one, Ella who gets pulled into taking care of her ditzy sister's newborn in Houston, Texas. She's witty and independent. I laugh repeatedly, even after reading it several times. And the love scenes are toe-curling!

Lick (Adult romance - contemporary) by Kylie Scott -- Find it here
This is the first book from another very funny, very sexy series. This one about rock bandmates (Stage Dive) and the funny and jumbled way they each find love. Lick is the first, but Lead is my favorite. Though, Play is by-far the funniest. This author is excellent, and I never miss her new books when they release.

Pride and Prejudice (chick lit) by Jane Austen - Find it here
Sure, there's no kissing (gah!), as it wasn't proper to write about, but I wanted to include since I reread this book every few years. Why? I've never met a character I've loved more than Elizabeth. I love unlocking challenging and flowery language. And Austen is so witty and snide and sarcastic, I always chortle with laughter. There are situations that still ring very true. I love that.

Even if you DO have a Valentine today, it's still worth enjoying some extra romance in your life. It can't hurt, right?!


Food for thought about romance novels: I'm still pretty shy about talking about my love of romance novels. They're considered "lesser" novels or "vices" or "guilty pleasures." (I just read a post about romance novels on Cup of Jo and it was gratifying to read all the comments that start "I, too, am a closet romance reader.")  But there are two things that irk me about that.

First, why are romance novels shameful but thrillers with violent murder scenes are totally mainstream and, some, celebrated (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo comes to mind). I'd much rather live in a world that praised books about love and connection. We all aspire to find love, not be murdering psychopaths. Or even the detectives that solve those mysteries. Movies are the same, aren't they? Romantic comedies are silly fluff but horror/thriller films are more serious moviemaking. Blah.

Yes, not all romance novels I've read are brilliantly written. But some are. And, either way, they still require skill by an author to pull the story together. Why minimize that?

Second, is this just another way we demean an industry directed to women? Another way we subvert women in our society? It's almost taken for granted that these women-focused industries are of lesser value or importance, no matter the billions they earn each year. (Is my feminist side showing?)

What about romance writer, who are mostly women, and are not generally accepted as authors, often using pen names so they can write other mainstream work. I had a friend years ago who aspired to be a romance writer. This was before I started reading romance (in fact, she gave me the first books I read) and I remember almost belittling her dream. Why would you pursue a career in writing tawdry romance? I completely changed my view since, but still. It's there.

Just a thought.


Related posts:
More book reviews
My 50 Shades of Grey thoughts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project