What Blew Up

You guys, it happened. I blew it up. Two things, actually, in ONE DAY!

Background: When we were packing for France, I was very strict about not bringing items that needed to be plugged in. Specifically lamps and kitchen appliances. (Why we didn't have any light in our apartment for the few first days.) Why? Because I had read the voltage, which is higher here in Europe at 220-240 voltage, could damage/kill the item. So, I specifically didn't pack them.

I DID pack my one-year-old sewing machine, thinking I would just take the chance. It was worth the risk to have it with me. It was new, so maybe the engine had something to protect it again power surges. And the converter might help it, right?

 Wrong! I tried to use it last weekend and it blew. It's now a very large paperweight. Sigh.

A few hours after I killed that beloved appliance, I plugged in the drill battery to recharge, and that blew as well. In fact, it nearly started a fire.

So, yes, I was completely justified worried about the 220-240 voltage here in France (compared to the 110-120 in the US).

And now I have to buy a new sewing machine. And drill battery.

Hindsight is 20/20 ... right?



Related posts:
More Packing posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project