Friday, February 27, 2015

Hanging Pictures My Way

There's about 3 thousand ways to hang a gallery wall in Pinterest. The tips include using laser-levels and cutting cardboard/craft paper and hanging those first to figure out positioning.

Awk.

Well, I am not in it for the precision. I like the casual feel of hand-arranged frames on a wall. If I attempted to measure and make it uniform (like I did on the record album wall), any irregularity would drive me nuts-o.

Before: A Newly-White Wall
So here's what I do: start on one side of the wall and hang the big frames first. I attempted to make them about the same distance apart, but I just eyeball it.

I do use a level to make the frames straight -- I'm not that sloppy.

Then I fill in with the smaller frames. The key here is the use the same black frame/white matte combo. Then they look cohesive no matter how they are hung.

After: A Wall of Growing Girls, With Room For More
I ordered a bunch of newer photos to add to the wall in an 8x10 size. So I'll be filling in a few places here and there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment