The Fireplace Project - Before

I can't stop looking at my fireplace. And not in a good way.

When we first moved in, I painted the trim white and it stood out because the walls were that awful beige. But last year, we painted the room white. So now, it's basically camouflaged into the wall. And it's all very builder-grade, including that horrible peach tile (that is also on my kitchen floor). There are too many days I want to take a hammer to it.

Here it is in all its current glory:
The Before Picture
It's time for it all to GO!

I really think we need to introduce some natural texture into this room. And some warm wood. I've been doing some fireplace Pinning and here's the goal ...
I'm Not Planning to Hit the Ceiling, But I May Change My Mind
I started scouting for materials that I can DIY and I found this product called AirStone at Lowe's. It's faux stone that is applied with glue directly to the wall. I checked it out this weekend and it's pretty cool. And I think we'd only need a box. Maybe two. So the cost is sitting right around $100-150.

Then there's the mantel. I would really very much like a solid, reclaimed wood mantel. So I'm heading to the Evanston Rebuilding Warehouse to see what they have. I've got no idea what I'm going to find or at what price, but I'm hoping to find a treasure.

I'm also going to look for tile for the floor in front of the fireplace. It's a small space and easily overlooked, so it was be fun to find something old or eye-catching. And I can always hit Floor & Decor if I don't find anything salvaged. I'm estimating to spend $20-30 for that spot.

More updates to follow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project