Project: Dining Room Shelves

I've been staring at this wall in my dining room for months. And, after a lot of browsing through design books and websites, I narrowed down my goals to these:
  • More storage for serving pieces
  • Not another large piece of furniture
  • Use wood matching the dining room table
So, it became obvious that shelves were what I wanted. 
Before - Empty Dining Room Wall
A few trips to all the hardware stores over the last month helped me narrow down available supplies, so when I was ready, here's what I shopped for:
  • Three pine boards
  • Pre-Stain
  • "Classic Gray" wood stain
  • Sanding blocks
  • Six shelf brackets (in a stainless steel)
  • Lug screws - 18 (extras just in case)
I was able to keep well under my budget on this one (under $100) -- which just puts more cash into my dining room curtain budget. Yay!

After - Shelves Ready for Dishes & More
Here are the steps:

First, stain the pine shelf boards from Home Depot with pre-stain, then "classic gray" wood stain that matches my table. And a few coats of poly (water-based, my favorite product).

In between coats, I hung the brackets. This took a lot of drilling and muscle, because I choose to go into a stud rather than using wall anchors.

At the end of the day, I was able to hang the shelves and see my finished product.

It will all come together with the gray wall color and navy blue chevron curtains -- which I hope to order by the end of October.

We're getting there!







Related posts:
See the dining room progression

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project