Spring in Denmark and Holland

This Spring, I got a chance to tag along with David back to Europe. May is an excellent time to be in Europe, the weather is Spring-like and the crowds are manageable. The itinerary was based on Dave's meeting schedule, so it was: Copenhagen, Skordsborg, Amsterdam and Utrecht. 

Copenhagen and Skordsborg

We started in Copenhagen, our favorite city. We arrived on a holiday Monday where a big "Royal Run" was taking place, so the streets in central part of the city were packed and roads were closed. We had the afternoon free, so we rented bikes, which we've never done, and explored a bit. Biking along the canal was such a "goal achieving" moment. Just awesome fun. Impossible to take a photo, though.

After the first day, we headed to Skordsborg, a seaside town north of Copenhagen where Dave's three-day training was taking place. I spent a day enjoying the spa but otherwise, there wasn't much of a town to explore. So the second day, I took the train back into Copenhagen to see the royal palace and the northern area of the city I missed last time I was here. 

I love this city because it's easy to navigate, there are beautiful old buildings that are well-maintained everywhere. Good shopping and nice places to grab a bite. 

I got lunch at Magasin du Nord, the big department store. Pro Tip: If you're traveling around a city along, a big department store is a great stop for a quick lunch (they usually have a food court with a counter) and clean bathrooms to clean up before your next stop. And I went back to the Rosenborg Castle because it's my favorite castle ever. If I had the time, I would have gone back to one of the great art museums here, but decided to get the train back in time for dinner. 

The Skorsborg Spa Hotel

The Baltic Sea

At the Train Station

Fredirk's Kirk

Rosenborg Castle, 17th century party house


Side Street with Bikes - Love exploring

Amsterdam

Then, it was time to leave Denmark and head to The Netherlands to see Amsterdam for the first time. It was a weekend, so Dave didn't have to work and we were just there to sight-see. 

We went on a bike tour and visited the Van Gogh museum. We ate some good food. Got stuck in a couple quick rain storms. and wandered around ... a lot. I booked a boat tour but I wrote down the wrong time and we were 30 minutes late for the tour. 

I enjoyed all the shops, especially the art and the historic Delft tile. It was funny to see all the lines out of the famous French fries and waffles shops. And Tony's Chocoloneys -- the best chocolate right now. And there were tulip souvenirs just about everywhere.  


I'm going to be controversial here but Amsterdam is NOT my favorite city ... by a long shot. Yes, it's very pretty. The buildings are historic and charming and leaning over each other like drunk ladies and I love that. BUT it's really dirty. The water, the streets, most of the buildings, everything is dirty. 

And the bars and smoke shops are packed with party people. Half of Europe comes here to misbehave and it was apparent -- and gross. Like packs of drunk bachelor parties at 2pm. It's like the Las Vegas of Europe. So off-putting with the history around. 

Also, I have a pretty good sense of direction and can find my way through European cities pretty easily -- but Amsterdam is literally a maze with canals and streets that all look the same. If I could see the Central Station, I was good but when that landmark was out of sight (usually) I had no idea which way I was going. I didn't like that feeling.

So, cute place for a very short visit. I won't be in any rush to get back here.

Utrecht

After that dirty weekend, we traveled 30 minutes south by train to Utrecht, where Dave's company has offices. He had meetings for a few days here and I explored this small college city. Where Amsterdam was huge and dirty and messy, Utrecht was charming, clean and lovely. I adored it. 

Such good walking with beautiful streets to meander. Great shopping. A few museums or historic churches to visit. A long history. I wished I would have booked a walking tour because there was clearly a lot to learn. 

Pretty street near the canal

The historic canal that flows through the city

A room in the art museum that I loved

Another pretty street with flowers and bikes

I really appreciate a city with a bike culture. So cool

I ate the most delicious ham focaccia sandwich at an Italian shop, that I went back the next day for more. I did take-away fish n' chips at a fish shop that was so fresh and yummy. And we found an amazing coffee shop that we walked to before Dave went to work each morning, because it was just that good. 

I always feel so lucky that I get to go to these places and explore. Even alone, I have the best time looking at things and thinking. I usually listen to a podcast or music (only in one ear) while walking. And I go far, sometimes walking 8 miles in one day. 
  
Meanwhile, the girls did their first week home alone and they did great. The house was clean and both dogs were alive when we got home. Total success. Can't wait to do it all over again. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behold! Everard Blue!

Family Calendar Improvement

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update