The Owl Wings Are Done! HOOT! HOOT!

The owl wings are done! And I'm more than just a little proud of the work I did on this. Hooray!
Leah is an Owl!! Hoot! Hoot! 

Here's the breakdown:
  • It took about two weeks (in the evenings, while watching TV) to cut out the "feathers."
  • Most of the fabric is upholstery that I got at Loomcraft. Some was scrap I had left over from other projects -- like the red corduroy. The yellow-y fabric is from a set of napkins Mom found for me a few years ago. 
  • Because I used upholstery fabric, the wings are heavy. So I tacked them to the orange shirt she is wearing. 
  • I also used ribbons to tie the wings to her wrists -- so she can fly! And, more importantly, hold on to her trick-or-treat loot bag. 
  • I could have used the brown base-fabric and fashioned a smock or vest to sew the wings to, but decided against it. Too much work and not much return. 
  • The best time-saving advice from the instructions I used was to sew bias tape around the borders for a quick, clean look. 
  • I may hand-sew more "feathers" onto the shirt, for a unified look. 
All that's left is creating the little tutu that will be the "skirt." I'm toying with the idea of making the skirt longer in the back, to look like the tail. I'll let you know how that goes. 

I've orders a owl mask from an artist on Etsy. I'm leaving that to the experts. And she has orange leggings that make good bird legs. I'll have to put it all together in the next week to make sure we got to the look we wanted. 

In the meantime, I'm basking in the glow of this creative achievement. Isn't it so fun to create something new and beautiful?!

Leah Can FLY! 
And Leah LOVES them. 



Related posts:
All the Halloween posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project