Skip to main content

The Owl Wings Are Done! HOOT! HOOT!

The owl wings are done! And I'm more than just a little proud of the work I did on this. Hooray!
Leah is an Owl!! Hoot! Hoot! 

Here's the breakdown:
  • It took about two weeks (in the evenings, while watching TV) to cut out the "feathers."
  • Most of the fabric is upholstery that I got at Loomcraft. Some was scrap I had left over from other projects -- like the red corduroy. The yellow-y fabric is from a set of napkins Mom found for me a few years ago. 
  • Because I used upholstery fabric, the wings are heavy. So I tacked them to the orange shirt she is wearing. 
  • I also used ribbons to tie the wings to her wrists -- so she can fly! And, more importantly, hold on to her trick-or-treat loot bag. 
  • I could have used the brown base-fabric and fashioned a smock or vest to sew the wings to, but decided against it. Too much work and not much return. 
  • The best time-saving advice from the instructions I used was to sew bias tape around the borders for a quick, clean look. 
  • I may hand-sew more "feathers" onto the shirt, for a unified look. 
All that's left is creating the little tutu that will be the "skirt." I'm toying with the idea of making the skirt longer in the back, to look like the tail. I'll let you know how that goes. 

I've orders a owl mask from an artist on Etsy. I'm leaving that to the experts. And she has orange leggings that make good bird legs. I'll have to put it all together in the next week to make sure we got to the look we wanted. 

In the meantime, I'm basking in the glow of this creative achievement. Isn't it so fun to create something new and beautiful?!

Leah Can FLY! 
And Leah LOVES them. 



Related posts:
All the Halloween posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.