Reading: You're Doing It Wrong

I love books and read lots and lots. When I tell people how many books I read a week, they think I'm crazy and say "I could never read that many books, no matter how much I love to read." To that, I say, you're probably doing it wrong. (YDIW series)


First off, some people don't care about reading or they're just not in the "book reading season" in their life ... totally get it. When I had young babies, I didn't read more than a very few books a year ... maybe. Not biggie. I don't judge. But if you're eager to read more, and think it's impossible, it's probably not. 

Pick easier books. If your goal is to read three books a month, a pretty attainable goal, don't pick books from a MFA- English program. Skip the Tolstoy or Vonnegut. Sure, they're worthy but "War and Peace" is a damn dense brick! You're not being graded, so pick more "easy" books, than classic that require a comprehension guide. Mix it up, is all I'm saying. And if it's classics you want to read, Franny & Zoe is a novella. And the same credit. 

Also, pick books you like no matter what anyone else thinks. You like it, you read it. As a dedicated romance reader (and you know my true feelings on that in this post) I have no shame in telling people what I read. Books are books. Art is art. Read what makes your soul sing! 

Feel free to skim. Gosh, reading and analyzing every word is unnecessary. There are great books from accomplished authors that get a little wordy is some parts. Skim it. I promise the author will never know. Get the gist and keep going. There's likely more good stuff to come. 

Audiobooks DO FRIGGIN COUNT! All this discussion about "does it count if you listen to it" is baloney. It counts even if you get to drive or clean or fold laundry or work while you listen. Multi-tasking is part of the joy. Add them to your count. Ignore the naysayers. And remember, you can adjust the reading rate, which is just like skimming!

Don't be afraid to DNF! Abandoning books have always been tough for me, since I would feel so invested (I even wrote a post about it), but lately I've been getting better at knowing when a book isn't for me and walking away. I've stopped audiobooks 65% in, with no regrets. Again, the author will never know. Drop it and move on. If it niggles at you, you can always pick it up again. (I've done it.) But keeping moving. As my friend Sonja says "life is too short to read a bad book."  

I like reading several books at the same time. I try to diversify the genre or time period, so they don't get too confused in my head. When I feel curious about what's happening next in one book, or need something funny instead of something too serious, I can pick the book that matches my mood. Same with always having an audiobook going; I'm never left with nothing to read or listen to. 

For me, reading is so rewarding. I love getting lost in another person's head. Having adventures. And reading something that resounds with me so deeply, I understand a little more about myself then I did before I started the book. I find inspiration and joy and sorrow in the stories and that enhances my real life. I also like buying the books! Seeking out new stories. And being the example to my family on what's possible, if you really apply yourself. Hooray for books. 


Read other You're Doing It Wrong Series posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project