Skip to main content

Making Curtains For the Sliding Glass Door

The Doors!
The Problem:  I have this huge door with nothing to prevent the sun from streaming in (in the rare event that I need a break from it) and at night when we're feeling a little exposed.

Luckily, there's no direct view into a neighbor's house. There was an ugly vertical blind on it when we moved in, but Maggie and I got rid of that in the first week. Yuck.

The Solution: Fabulous curtains! As mentioned previously, I found the perfect fabric at a shop in Montclair. They sent it to me. Then, I had to find a liner and hardware. Which I picked up at JoAnn's last weekend (special shout-out to the Albertons for a great Christmas gift).

Ready to be a Curtain!
I started the project this morning and it's taken me all day to finish (ignoring the children all day -- the house is a mess). But it's well worth it. Here is a quick outline of the steps.

1) Hang rod (that took a few days -- I got the wrong size first, then the holes were impossible to make. These walls are made of tissue paper!)
2) Measure distance from rod to floor (twice) and add seam allowances to top and bottom.
3) Measure out the fabric and liner on the floor (twice) and cut.
4) Pin lining to fabric.
5) Hang from rod and double-check the length.
6) Sew! All but the hem.
7) Iron and hang again. Make decision on using 1. ring clips or 2. pocket tabs.
For Step 7 -- the ring clips made it look too much like a shower curtain. Tabs it is!
8) Hang and hem -- like it's a huge dress!

Working with a large piece of fabric is much different then working with a yard or two to make a little girl's dress. But I loved the long straight sewing -- zipping it right through the machine. Good practice for sewing straight lines.

Big reveal photo coming tomorrow.....





Related posts:
More Kitchen stories

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.