School Registration Day

Public school is no joke, people.

I had no idea what I was getting into until I pulled up to the middle school last night where the large school district was attempting to register somewhere around 13,000 kids -- in three days. We live in a massively huge district.

Upon entering the middle school, I was given a map that would direct me to multiple stations. First, I had to prove I was a resident. Then, I got Leah's class assignment, bus tag and other information I have yet to fully read. Then, transportation and school nurse, which I was mercifully able to bypass (though next year there are more vaccines for 2nd graders). Next was a room for school lunches, paying for registration, waiving registration payments and other special needs.

Last, it was into a room with class lists (I took a picture of the list of Leah's new classmates -- since they didn't have them for take-home). I also picked up an absolutely huge supply list (six glue sticks!). There were also a ton of t-shirts and sweatshirts on display for "spirit days."

At one of the tables got into a nice conversation with a PTA volunteer about the school and the "houses" they divide the grades into -- so you spend the first six grades with almost the same kids. Leah is in the Leopard house. (What, no Hufflepuff or Gryffindor?) She insisted the district does a good job from keeping the large class sizes from seeming overwhelming. And there are only 21 kids in Leah's class.

When I finally walked out of there with all the paperwork, I couldn't contain my excitement for Leah. The first day of school is less than 2 weeks away. All the new experiences and things she'll learn. And new friends she'll make. And I remarked (to myself) that it was a surprisingly well-organized chaos in that building -- something I'm sure they are used to. Can't wait to do it all again next year.

But seriously, when did this get so complicated?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project