Skip to main content

Aging: A Note From My Future Self

Hairline on the Move!
Dear Self,

You are aging and here's how I know: First, you pulled out the yoga mat after a several-month absence (inexcusable, I might add) and now, two days later, you can't walk without wanting to cry. Tying your shoes for soccer practice later will feel like cruel torture. You've known sore muscles in your youth, of course, but nothing this serious. We hear it's a sign of age and we don't like it.

In the future, if you want to take a few days off from yoga/exercise, FINE. But never again take longer than a week away from your mat. You will be sorry. You saw the way that guy looked at you as you limped down the hallway and stairs. Not OK. Let this be a lesson to you and keep moving. For today, take some Advil and stop sniveling.

You can also see the aging all over your face. The little wrinkles next to your eyes are getting deeper -- which isn't so bad, really. It's giving your face a little more character. But they're just going to get deeper. Also, like your Tita Mavi, the hairline at your temples are moving south. Someday, will the space between your eyes, your eyebrows and your hairline be scant? I can't tell you. For now, the tweezers are your best friend. And continue to moisturize every night.

Take care of us! We've all we got.

Signed,
Your Future Self


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.