Cleaning It Up!

I've been looking around trying to pick a new sustainability project in my house. There's so much more I could do everywhere, but, at the same time, there's also only so much we can make fit into our lives.

After a bit of pondering I came up with it ... my cleaning products! I've been trying to keep my cleaning products plant-based for the last few years, but through visitors or my own needs, harsh chemicals have tip-toed back in.

We have a cleaning service that comes every other week, so our cleaning needs are really just touch-ups between their visits. Counters, bathrooms and glass cleaning really is the most important. And vacuuming. The service maintains the rest. So the cabinet under my sinks should be relatively sparse, but they are not.

They are so not.

So this weekend, I'm going to clean out each cabinet, moving the really toxic stuff into a garage cubby, for when dire needs present themselves. And all the random stuff (paint cans, for example) can move to their rightful homes.

Then, I can take stock at what cleaners I really need. I've no doubt I have a surplus of cleaners because I couldn't find the counter spray or thought it was almost empty. I'll take stock and make sure each cleaning storage spot is provisioned.

Under the kitchen sink is the main location for cleaning supplies, but I have satellite depots in the upstairs bathroom and laundry room. And each spot needs specific items. The upstairs bathroom gets the rug cleaner. The laundry room includes laundry soap. You get the idea.

I'm a fan of the cleaning caddies and might try to make a few -- especially in the upstairs bathroom where the cleaning supplies need to be relocated into the linen closet.

Once I have a clear picture of my cleaners, I can start the sustainability part. Make the switch to refillable glass containers.

What else does my house need? What's missing? And fill those needs with glass bottles, if possible.

To that end, I may join Grove Collaborative. I had been using Honest to get most of my cleaners and body products but they changed their system and don't have the same products I've used in the past. I've been researching Grove and they seem to have some good products and a more sustainable model. They plant trees as a carbon offset to the shipping and use the least amount of plastic as possible shipping. It's interesting. I'll report back.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project