Skip to main content

Shopping for the Backyard

I don't remember us using the the backyard as much as we have in this house, so far this summer. Sure, it's mainly due to the pool, but it's still a good excuse to update what's there.

There is definite room for improvement. 

Number one on my list was adding chaise lounges next to the pool. BUT ... what is the DEAL with these chaise loungers being so dang expensive!? Who knew?! 

After months digging through shopping sites, I've just given up. I simply won't pay over $400 for one, let alone nearly $1000 for two. And not for something that will only last one season. I'll wait for the winter sales and it will be part of next year's upgrade to the deck.

In the meantime, I still need some pool-side seating, so I bought two club chairs (on super sale). When the kids are swimming, there's a comfy spot to the deck to hang out and watch.

Chairs from Overstock

Then, there's the dining set. Remember I was going to update that summer 2020 (plans here) ... but never got to it. Well, now is the time. 

I'm finally selling away the black iron set we got at Costco 14 years ago. It's not pretty, it's uncomfortable and heavy. Buh-bye. 

After some pondering over what we'll use, and some online digging, I decide on this pretty, teak table from Lowes.

Table from Loews

The table is not as big as I thought I always wanted, but ... we don't eat outside very often. If anything, so far entertaining this summer, we have apps or drinks out there and move inside for the meal. So I decided to keep it small and simple. It will be easier to care for and keep inside during the winter.

However, for the chairs I got WILD! French bistro chairs just seemed the way to go. They look like the chairs from Paris and deliver big style. I love Paris, so they're so on-brand for me. Right? 

I did some major searching and found this set on Amazon that had incredible reviews. 

French Bistro Chairs from Amazon

And at a great price. So excited for these to arrive. I wonder if we'll wander outside for more meals once there's a great space? 

The last thing I bought was this gorgeous Acacia bench from World Market. It was on MAJOR sale. 50% off with free shipping. I had to have it. 

Acacia Bench from World Market

I have a few ideas of where this will go outside, but to be honest, I might use it in our foyer. It's looks so MODERN and COLONIAL ... so, we'll decide when it gets here. It's lovely, right?! 

Obviously, photos will be coming once these things are arrived and set up for a photo session. Can't wait! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.