Skip to main content

Back in New Jersey for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving belongs to my mother-in-law. This is the law. And, luckily, we all get along fine (mostly) -- so the holiday is pretty low-stress. It does involved a long drive from Illinois to New Jersey, because flights are too dang expensive -- especially to sit is someone's dining room for the day. I'll pay $2,000 to sit on a beach or walk wide Paris streets but for suburban New Jersey? Um, no.

So we rented a Ford Escape, loaded it up with snacks, goodies, kids and Hanukkah presents and headed out of the midwest. Because we don't like (understatement) fast food, we found a little hole-in-the-wall pizza place in Montpellier, Ohio for dinner on our first night. And for Ohio pizza, it wasn't too bad. We did the bulk of the driving in the evening, which meant the kids slept for much of the drive to our overnight in a hotel. The next morning, they swam in the pool and jumped in the car for the final leg.

Here's the things I really miss about New Jersey.

- the pizza. People, there is NO duplicating the taste of NJ/NY pizza. It's singular and delicious. That first piece is like tasting pizza again. The crust isn't supposed to taste like cardboard? The sauce is supposed to be tomoato-y and tangy? The cheese should form strings when pulled apart. DELICIOUS.

- the bagels. No lie, an Einstein bagel has nothing on the little min-mall places in New Jersey. They're lighter, fluffier, toast to a crisp and taste amazing with cream cheese and lox. Or, the BEST is my mother-in-law's egg salad. No one makes it like hers. I crave it.

- the friends. We have great friends and family in Jersey that we miss seeing often. We're missing out on big gatherings and their kids' growing.

Here's what I don't miss:

- the traffic. You can't go far without hitting traffic, even in the suburbs. It's terribly annoying, especially being in a car with

- the crowds. We tried to see a movie with the kids and it was sold out. I remember this from when we lived there. We had to really plan ahead on weekends to see movies, buying tickets in advance and arriving early. In our new place, we're 5 minutes from the theater and it's almost NEVER sold out. We're spoiled now.

- the people. Being dressed to the 9s to go the grocery store. Patten-leather pointy boots to pick up take-out? Really?! Women with high-gloss nails, teased hair and heavy make-up. It makes a girl like me feel under-dressed everywhere I go.

We were so excited to get home that the last leg of the trip felt awfully long. But, we rolled in Saturday at lunch time and spent the weekend getting settled back in and ready for another long week at work and school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.