Skip to main content

Downsizing My Purse

My girls are getting bigger, so it got me thinking that maybe my purse can get smaller.

Big Purse, Little Purse
In days of old (or as of three years ago), I carried around a variety of things to keep little girls entertained or fed, depending on where we were heading.

Items included: Snacks, most importantly, but often small crayons and notebooks/paper, windup toys/cars, tissues, hand sanitizer, little board book, cards. The stuff changed often depending on what was popular or needed.

(I am still in the habit of never leaving the house on trips with the girls without a snack or two tucked in my bag. That hasn't changed.)

Then there are my essentials: lip balm, mints, wallet and phone. And, without fail, I'll be handed my husband's car keys and, likely, his glasses.

You can see how a "Mom Purses" comes into being, right? Lots of stuff to haul around.

Well, other than a few snacks, I'm not carrying anything for the girls anymore. Occasionally, they pack their own little purse or backpack if we're going to Nana's house or out for a long day of errands and a restaurant.

To celebrate this new step in maturity, I bought a teeny purse! Orla Kiely, of course. It's just big enough for my essentials -- as long as I keep my sunglasses on my head. And maybe two granola bars, if I squeeze.

Isn't It Cute! And in Navy, Obviously
Bonus: I find that I can tuck this little purse into a tote bag (or larger purse) when I need to carry more stuff, such as the library bag or smuggling in snacks into a movie. Or, like I did Wednesday, into a tote with my iPad and book to keep me entertained while Leah is in the orthodontist. Nifty!

How big is your purse? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.