Skip to main content

Podcasts and Doctors - Paris Friday Update

Paris-Themed Podcasts
To get in the spirit, I've been listening to Paris-centric podcasts while doing work or sorting our crap. It's been fun listening to other expats talk about their experience in Paris, hear topics of interest and some news, too. Here they are:

The Earful Tower -- The host, Oliver G, is a bit strange and charming. He's clearly entertained and also puzzled by the Parisians, so it's an interesting approach. Each episode tackles some aspect of Parisian life and most include interviews. He just interviewed a Brit who has been an expat for over 50 years and his perspective was fascinating. And at the end of each episode, there's a little story about Paris's colorful history. 

The New Paris -- This one is sort of based on the book the host, Lindsey Tramuta, wrote a few months ago. It's about the newer trends and businesses that are growing in Paris. Such as quality coffee, small businesses (which are challenging because of French tax laws) and the nonexistence of big breakfasts. She, with her Aussie cohost Alice, tackle these topics and others, usually by interviewing friends or experts on the forefront of the trends. Very interesting and relevant. 

Paname  -- Amanda, the host, has a beautiful voice and tells usually dark stories from Paris history. I've just started to listen to this one and, though she speaks rather fast, the topics are generally gripping. I think I'll really get into the history of the city while we're there, it's so vast. And bloody!

And then some days I listen to Change ma vie: outils pour l'esprit. I have almost no idea what Clotilde (of this charming dual-language cooking blog) is saying, but it's useful to listen to the way French is spoken in that sing-song and lilting way. Maybe someday I'll actually understand it!


Captured at Dance Class
Doctors and Checkups
As part of this move, we've been checking in with doctors of all kinds, just to ensure we're all in tip-top shape before the move. Vaccines, annuals, etc. Not that we won't have health care while in Paris, it just seemed easier to see our primary doctors, who have access to all our records, here. And with no potentially awkward language barrier.

Funny story, an ex-expat friend told us the English pediatrician most of the American expats use while in Paris is super good-looking. They call him Dr. McDreamy or something cute like that. So, if the girls get a cough ... visiting him won't be too bad.


Dream Apartment
Want to see the Paris apartment we all dream about when we think about living in Paris? Check this place out! It's a little outside our ideal neighborhood, but ... come on!! It's every movie set in Paris.




Related posts: 
The Paris Move
Past Paris Friday Updates

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behold! Everard Blue!

Here's the After picture of our master bedroom now that the walls are a dark and moody blue. Maybe the best part is I was at work while the painters were here, so I walked in and found -- as if by magic -- the room no longer minty green but a bold blue. That's pretty awesome. They also painted the trim an eye-popping white, which I just love against this blue. And the angle is a dark beige-y, tan color that I hope goes with the headboard. I spent the evening cleaning and re-hanging the drapes, and moving the furniture back into position. It will be a while before I dare hang anything in here. I'm too in love with the walls to put too many holes in them right now. So, just in case I'm looking for this information later: The walls are "Everard Blue" by Benjamin Moore . And the tray is "Curly Willow" by Behr . Now, does that furniture look too dark against the walls or is it just me? And wouldn't a lighter wood or white look fabulous agains...

France and the Third Baby

Odd fact of the day .... The French government pays for a mother’s tummy tuck after the birth of her third child (you do have to have at least 3 babies to qualify). Found on this blog about raising kids in Southern France. Yes, I'm day-dreaming again. Related posts: All the fancy quotes My love of France runs deep, people

So Long, Hanukkah Part Two

And just as quickly it started (in New Jersey, on the night of Thanksgiving, no less), Hanukkah is over.  Our eight nights were full of fun and squealing! And lighting many candles, of course. We missed one night because we were in a hotel room after spending the whole day driving home from New Jersey -- and I just didn't have the wherewithall to pull out the menorah.  Speaking of menorah, we've replaced our old, wax-filled menorah with this lovely silver beauty given to us by David's mother. It belonged to her mother and sat in the dining room for years. Isn't it pretty?! And, the wax cleans off it much easier, so we're sure to hang on to this one for many Hanukkahs to come. I'm a sucker for traditions.  Here's some photos of the last two nights: Leah Lighting the Candles - in an Eli Manning Jersey, No Less Alice Lighting in a Top She Calls her Genie Shirt David Constructing the Cardboard Pirate Ship The Last BIG Gift? A Pirate...