Skip to main content

Plastic-Free Kitchen Challenges

Last week I was all gung-ho about pushing my kitchen to be more plastic-free. I even had a plan. But here's the update: This is going to be a bigger challenge than I initially thought.

I knew this change wasn't going to happen over night, but this is certainly going to take some serious doing.

It's this new awareness that's surprising me most of all. I thought I had a good idea of the amount of plastic I bring into my kitchen. But once I really scrutinized what's at home and then the markets -- and what goes in my shopping cart -- I'm COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY. It's A LOT of plastic.

Let's start with coffee. When we moved to France, I got a cute little Nespresso coffee machine that makes me cute little cappuccinos each morning ... with single-use plastic capsules. Yes! No!

I guess I could clean each little capsule and recycle the plastic, but that's not really the point, is it?

It's all about the swaps, right? So, the swap here is to teach myself how to use my French Press. I found this handy article (which includes making frothy milk and homemade chia, who knew?!) and added a few guides to my Zero-Waste Pinterest board. I'll admit it, I'm intimated by the numbers: The water temp and the coffee-to-water ratios. But let's look at the benefits here, WAY less expensive and removing the coffee machines frees up space on our counter space.

Then there are the convenient (because that's what makes plastic so great, right?) of the plastic-wrapped meal helpers from the market. What are the swaps there?

We have a Marks & Spencer (it's a British company) in the neighborhood and they have these handy meals -- a bag of veggie mix, pre-diced meat, a dish of noodles and a bag of stir-fry sauce. Voila! Dinner is ready in minutes with no chopping! But each and every item is wrapped in plastic. Much I can't even recycle. Argh!

They also have great soups in plastic jugs (Alice loves the tomato soup) and frozen veggies, ham and the most delicious little cookies with a dark chocolate coating. I eat them all day. All of these things are sold in plastic wrapping! Let's not even mention all the exotic juices the girls have come to love and drink down in one sitting.

Grr! It's so prevalent! It seems impossible, really. How are we going to do this?

Some of the blogs or advocates I've found are finished with their transition and are producing just a little waste each hear (it's awesome), and they can provide great advice. But I'm also finding a few folks who are still in the process, such as the folks from The Slow Home Podcast who are a year or so into their plastic-less home shift and still looking for swaps. I find their advice inspiring and reassuring. They are all about going at your own pace and hitting only a few things at a time. But enjoying the process; being creative, problem-solving, experimenting. There's no finish line and no one is keeping score.

So, step by step.

And as a reminder ...
From an Instagram Accounts I Find Helpful, Jarfull Co
Here are a few more Instagram accounts that all are about Zero-Waste living:



Related posts:

Read more about this Less Plastic project
My Zero-Waste Ideas Pinterest board 
More ideas about Reusing stuff instead of throwing it away 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.