Less Waste Post Paris

When returning from Paris, I wanted to think strategically about using less waste.

I knew I was going to be focused on our house projects and I couldn't spend lots of time zeroing in on bulk stores or composting projects. So I picked a few everyday items to start.

First, I found a coffee company that's zero-waste k-cups. (I love my French press but my mornings are busy with two trips out to the bus stop, so I'd rather use my Kerig machine, ya know?!) Faro is sold on Amazon and is completely compostable. Part of the cup is even made from coffee bean skins, a by-product of coffee production!

Each morning, I toss the used pod into my little compost pot where it will eventually get added to my big bin the yard. The coffee packaging is all is reusable, too.

Then, I considered toilet paper; I've been reading a lot about Who Gives a Crap, a tp company that uses 100% recycled paper or sustainable bamboo and wraps them in colorful paper instead of plastic. They also sell paper towels and tissues.

I didn't commit to a subscription, which they have, because I wanted to try the products first. It's thin, but durable -- not to get too descriptive -- but I'll have to poll the rest of the family to get their thoughts before I order more.

Regardless, they get mad points for being adorable on my bulk supply shelf in the updated laundry room.

Last, I committed to buying milk at Oberwiez, which takes back the glass bottles to reuse. (Plus, it's the best milk ever.) And use the milk to make weekly homemade yogurt, something I've missed doing while in Paris.

I'm also really trying to "shop my house" first, before I buy anything new for the spaces we're updating. I'm trying to finish off cans of paint, moving furniture and baskets/containers around where I can. Even reuse wall nails, when I can.

It's not perfect, but it never will be. That's just us. But I'm happy when I can find a good swap or a more sustainable way of doing things.

Maybe, once I'm not up to my eyeballs in home projects, I'll focus on a few more things to get closer to zero-waste.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project