Skip to main content

Summer Reading List

 I have been devouring books like crazy this season. 

The Body Reset Diet from Harley Pasternak - we listened to this guy on the Goop Men's podcast while driving through Wyoming and I liked his very sensible approach. I've never done a diet "reset" and I thought, "well, if I'm going to do one, give me one with lots of yogurt and smoothies." So we got the book and did the reset diet, as prescribed. And now I'm doing my best to follow the spirit of the diet, if not down to the letter. 

Beach Read by Emily Henry - My favorite book of the summer, so far. I laughed, I cried my eyes out and I really enjoyed the dialog and pace of the book. The characters were well sketched and it was such a quick and sweet story. I very rarely read "mainstream" titles, but this book restored some of my faith in what "everyone else is reading." 

Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerhall - First off, isn't it funny the main character's name ISN'T Ever? From the title, I just assumed. Through the first chapter, I kept waiting for her to make an appearance. I read this book super quickly. It was pretty prescriptive and followed all the best troupes from this genre -- girl goes through trauma, discovers a secret about herself that she should have been told, boy loves her anyway, she's unsure of her own power and decisions through her journey. And in the end, rises to defeat the evil thing and overcome her own low confidence. Overall the pacing was fast, a few twists I didn't see coming, and I liked the bad guy character -- I know but I just did! 

The Court of Miracles by Kester Grant - I picked this book for two reasons. 1) the authors name is Kester and that's a kickass name. 2) It takes place in a twisted version of Paris and I was excited to get back there, if only through literature. There's a good story, the timeline is a bit murky but I think that was done on purpose to keep you guessing. The main character is a girl that is just doing her best to keep everything she loves in life together and gets beat up several times along the way, though she always makes it through. Certainly some twists and turns that were exciting and a few good one-liners. Magic is a fun element in a book, because it's so unexpected when it pops up. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.