Skip to main content

The School Room Progress Photos

Our home office has been a bit of a wreck since we moved back from Paris. A catch-all room. But then we started working from home in March and this room has been in a state of PROGRESS. David used it. Than, he moved to the basement, and I've been using it. We moved the chaise in here for the dogs to nap and watch the neighborhood -- it's everyone's room. 

Once the decision was made to distance learn, we had a family discussion on where the girls wanted to work. After last Spring's experience, the dining room or kitchen was out of the picture. Too messy. We quickly identified the office as the optimal place (the first of there several options) so they're close to me, for guidance and questions while I'm working from home, and they're away from distractions in their rooms. The desks in their rooms would play an alternate roll, once they got up and running successfully and needed a fresh location. Options are good. 

It was also the perfect opportunity to clear it out and clean it up. 

Here are the two areas where I planned to put their desks: 


The yellow cabinet is my lovely fabric cabinet, but it's been months since my last sewing project, so I'm OK with moving it down to the basement. (And actually, it's pretty cute down there.) The vintage desk is my Mom's and filled with her files and things. She's only here part-time, so we'll move this down to her bedroom in the basement, as well. 

The spaces were cleared out. I'll note that doggies' chaise lounge is staying, though I'd love to replace it some day with an upholstered bench or ottoman, but that's far in the future. 


One of the big creative ideas I had was the add a splash of color behind each desk. This will visually give more interest and separation to their work spaces. And, if I'm being honest, I've been shopping for a color for this room for a while, so it's a good test run. I took the girls to Ace Hardware to pick out some Magnolia Home colors, and I guided them towards corresponding colors. They made some pretty choices. 

I picked an arch for over Leah's desk (in "Texas Rain"), just for some extra personality. This photo is the first version, I ended up making it much taller.  And Alice's color (Rainy Days) went up to the wall to ceiling. Notice, I painted the baseboards too, for a bit of fun detail. 


I took two weeks to pick out the best desks. I wanted to stay around $100, have a little organization and a little style -- so if they did end up in a bedroom or elsewhere, they'd fit in. They couldn't be too basic. And I wanted to order two of the SAME desks to bypass the "her's is better than mine!" argument. I found these on Target.com. They came quickly, were fast to put together and fit all my criteria. For $110 desks they are pretty sturdy and should last as long as this distance learning, if not longer.  

The last step was to accessorize with some shelves and books. If they're going to be sitting in these chairs in front of laptops for half the day, I want it to feel like their own space. They picked office supplies and photos, too.

Here's how they turned out: 


The girls love their spaces and Alice actually said she was "excited to start school" which is a victory in my book. 

Plus, the office is a much more calm and less-cluttered space (for now). 

Next steps include cleaning off my desk, since it got a bunch of the clutter, and switching out the florescent light (which I can hear HUM all day long). 

Big changes and more to come! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.