Skip to main content

Books Read ... So Far This Year

Read So Far in 2016
At the beginning of the year I started a pile of all the books I've read in 2016 .... and it's fast becoming a little source of pride.

I read a LOT of books. And, of course, this stack doesn't reflect the many audiobooks I listen to on my commute and dozens of ebooks I read on my Kindle.

To be honest, I'm usually reading three stories at any given time -- across all those mediums. And it's only when a book is truly amazing do I halt all other reading.

Here are a few quickie reviews: 

The Night Circus: The best book I read on this pile -- but only by a slim margin. It wasn't an exciting page-turner but more of a very slow build and a magical payoff at the end. I bought the book years ago but ended up listening to this on audiobook with the very wonderful Jim Dale narrating.

The Conspiracy of Us and Map of Fates: This is an action-y series about a secret society that runs the world and the girl who can bring it all down ... or save us all. Or something like that. It's totally wild and unbelievable but so action-packed with an intriguing love triangle that I can easily overlook the silly conspiracy.  I read each of them in less than a week.

Crimson Bound and Cruel Beauty: These are very twist-y fairy tale retellings that's heavy on romance. I got the books for free at work, but found the audiobooks way more appealing.

Made For You: Maybe the least favorite book here. I've loved this author's other work but Southern gothic doesn't do much for me. I skimmed to the end.

Other finished books worth mentioning:

The Winner's Kiss: The last book in the Winner's trilogy and what a FANTASTIC trilogy it was. Kestrel is edging out many action-fantasy leading ladies as a favorite. I listened to this whole series on audiobook and loved the reader's wild accents.

The Glass Sword: This is the sequel to The Red Queen and it was, much like the second book of all trilogies, slow and all for the building-up of the third book. The last chapter, though. WOW!

Changeless: This is the second book in the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger. It's a steampunk series with supernatural creatures, heavy on dry English wit, and a few characters from her Finishing School series (which I highly recommend). Because of the way this one ended, I immediately started the third book. Alexa! Gah!

What are you reading? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.