Palace Living is For Me

Pretty Excited to Be Here
The evening started with a short bus ride out to the Palace of Versailles  just 20 miles out of the city.

We were welcomed into the Palace by 18th century trumpet players and a couple dressed in costume. Then, we got to tour the rooms that are usually packed with tourists but were just open for us, including the magnificent Hall of Mirrors. There were professional photographers standing by to take our picture, but I took a bunch of "selfies" along the way, to prove I was HERE.

I had to pinch myself several times. I just couldn't believe where I was standing!

My Place Setting
Then, we wandered into the "war gallery" for a sit-down dinner with the entire group -- about 600. Several French actors were walking around with large Marie Antoinette hair-dos and fans, flirting and telling stories. They handed out beauty marks and explained what they were for. I couldn't sit still and ended up walking to the bathrooms, just to see more.

Afterward dinner, we were served champagne out on the back patio under the stars. Again, the sight of the back of the palace, the incredible grounds and this party of dressed-up people just took my breath away! My imagination just wouldn't click off.

What an AWESOME night!

Wine and Moles
I kept thinking about all the history this Palace has seen. And not just French history (hello, Revolution!). The Treaty of Versailles (obviously), we ended our Revolutionary War in the Hall of Mirrors. Ben Franklin was a favorite at Versailles, for Pete's sake!

When we walked through the main, front door I couldn't stop thinking that for must of its existence, you had to BE someone important (royalty, a politician, wealthy) to use that entrance to the palace. And here I was, being ushered through.

We found out later that the Palace only hosts four private events each year, and you have to petition for a spot 18-months in advance. That's pretty impressive!

A special night, for sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project