Skip to main content

Basement Woes and Fixes

Again we hosted Christmas with my family and again I was frustrated that we have a large space -- the basement -- that we couldn't/didn't really use. Sigh.

In discussing plans to finish the basement, it became clear that we won't have the funds to do it in the next 6-8 months, at least. And maybe not at all this year. (It's a lot harder than you'd think to prioritize house projects/improvements.)

But, I have to do something about it or this icky feeling of having a space in my house that I can't use will eat at me. So, I'm gathering my goals and figuring out some ways. 

Goals
Lego Land: The girls use the basement as their Lego playroom. We've thrown Ikea tables and pieced together some rugs down there, along with some lights. I need to maintain that and maybe make it more comfortable. (Note: the neighbors came by this weekend and moved a majority of legos back to their house, but I have a feeling they'll be back.) 

The Home Gym: There's a good exercise space down there that I can use for my evening workouts, so I'd like to make it a bit more attractive and clean -- so it doesn't feel like I'm inhaling dead insects and spider webs. 

Storage: I've got bins galore down there and luggage that I need to find a permanent home for. And I've got shelves that I'm certainly not using to their full potential. I'd like to add an area for kitchen storage near the beer fridge for large appliances I don't have a home for. 

Strategy
Step one is a clean up -- so my cleaning service is coming this week to vacuum up all the dead things and dirt. I have to do a good deal of pre-cleanup before they arrive.

Here's what I'm currently dealing with: 



Step two: Once the cleaning service has de-grossified the space, I'll get to work and organize the bins, move around the storage. I'll connect all the random rugs into one or two and put the Lego tables back into place.

Step three: Decide if I want to invest in carpet tiles (Flor, of course) to dress it up a bit. They worked wonders in my awful bathroom. Or what other worthwhile but minor investment I can make - paint? Screens? Or if moving around some of the shelves will do the trick.

Maybe a few sketches are in order... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.