So That's a Pass on Keto

You know how I said I was researching this KETO diet and contemplating giving it a try? I bought two books and was reading up on what it was all about, because I'd heard some great things.

Yeah, no. Just no.

Here are a few things I decided ...

1. When you're contemplating a diet that suggests getting a tool to "test your blood" (say what?!!) to make sure you moved from metabolizing glucose to fat -- that's a red flag. Blood tools are a no-go. Also, when there's an adjustment time that includes sleep issues, hair loss and very bad breath -- also a red flag.

Sure, if I lived by myself. Or maybe a house with a bunch of other adults and a chef, like the Biggest Loser or Big Brother or something, than yes. Sure. But, otherwise, no. It's a pass.

2. The other thing I realized is that I'm exercising to create a "habit of exercising." (Remember my five-year goals?) But also to get out into the world and socialize with people. And when I started thinking about all this food and dieting, I started to focus more on losing weight then the habit I'm trying to build, which is my ultimate goal.

More Pollan Wisdom Available Here
3. Also, eating healthfully can obviously work in tangent with my goal of "exercising as a habit." And that's not about counting calories or carbs, but just being more mindful of our meals and snacks. Being aware of eating five fruits and veggies each day and avoiding processed junk. Like Micheal Pollan says: "Eat food. Not too much. Especially plants."

And maybe not eating all the baguettes every day. (Paris, amiright?!)

4. Last, I was concerned about how to introduce a restrictive diet to my girls without wading into the territory of negative body image or fat vs. thin. But with a focus on eating healthfully and avoiding processed (and packaged) food, I've side-stepped the negative and gone right into the positive lessons of eating well -- which is our responsibility as parents and adult role models. Phew!

So that's where we are.

And not to worry about the money wasted on those two keto cookbooks I bought off Amazon. They actually had some tasty-sounding dishes I'm going to be experimenting with in the future.



Related posts:
More boring posts about diet stuff (not a lot, I promise)
More Food posts -- which is way more fun! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Books Read ... So Far This Year