Paris Pet Peeves

I'm not a negative person so this isn't a post I want to write, but it's part of this expat experience, so I feel obligated to whine a bit after 11 months of living in Paris.

So excuse my bitchin'. 


I posted about drizzle, the smokers and dog poo on the sidewalks when we first arrived (read here). Still very annoying. I've spotted young teens and even mamas walking their babies puffing away on a cigarette ... and I just want to scream.

And vapers, yes I see you, and yes I'm very seriously grossed out by it. Yuck.

Also, Paris is a large metropolitan city, so of course we've got your usual city issues: it's dirty, cars everywhere, our neighborhood drunk homeless guy, etc. We worked in New York City for a decade, so all things we are familiar with. But anyway ... there are a few more to items to add to this list:

First, motorcycled and motorized scooters (Vespa-like) are completely lawless. They drive on sidewalks, up the wrong way on one-way streets, on the wrong side of the street to pass traffic, I've even seen them go through red lights. They aggressively weave between cars on the highway at top speeds. And the drivers are brash and obnoxious and don't care who or what they are doing to tie up traffic or completely freak me out when I'm out walking with the girls. Grrr. They are the worst!

Banking is a total pain. The ATM has "taken" my card twice in the last year and it takes weeks to replace it. WEEKS! Also, checks are still a big -- despite being assure by the bank rep that we didn't need them. Registering for Alice's ballet class and at Leah's orthodontist; both won't take cards. And these are not small expenses.  Several times in the last 11 months I have visited an ATM to withdraw over a 100€ to pay for something a credit card isn't accepted for. Argh. (And crossed my fingers that my card wouldn't be taken by the ATM. Again.)

And let's just touch on public urination. I've never seen so many men peeing on trees in any other place I've ever lived. I see it so often, it no longer embarrasses me. It's just yucky.

And no one can wait in line politely. This seems common throughout Europe. I'm no fan of waiting in a queue either but we've seen all sorts of techniques to avoid or cut the line. I have a ton of examples: We were waiting in a short line for a free smoothie sample and TWO ladies walked directly to the desk while we waited and asked subtly "oh, what is this? May I have one?" Thankfully, both were told to get in the line. Then there's the older couple who slowly, smoothly, edged around us in the line to board an airplane: they were behind us, next to use, then in front of us in the span of 20 minutes. The same thing has happened at the bakery. A few times.

There's also not as much thought to personal space, so while in line it's common to have the person behind you literally breathing down your neck.

Lastly, and this one surprised me: Paris isn't a foodie town. This is a BIG one, so I'll save it for it's own post. But let's just say, you're not going to find a lot of the variety you'll find in other European countries, despite access to lovely agriculture. More on that here.

OK. Done with my list of complaining.

I want to finish this post with all the things I LOVE about living in Paris -- the mild climate, the beautiful walks by lovely buildings, the girls' school, the museums, the access to other European cities, etc. I really do love the quality of life here and there's a lot I'm going to miss when we eventually head back to the States. So, overall I am happy and optimistic, I promise.

I just have to avoid dog poop, maniac motorcycles and lines.



Related posts:
More Paris-centric entries that will prove how much I love it here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project