Skip to main content

This Year's Holiday Cards

You might not get a holiday card from us this year. Sorry.

This Year's "New Year's" Holiday Card 
I wasn't even planning to do holiday cards, because I wasn't going to cover the expense of doing them in Paris in late November, when I normally get them done.

But... on Christmas Day I was clicking around Snapfish in a cookie-sugar-haze and found a 70% promo code. PLUS, they'll 2-day ship. So I ignored all the other activities in the house and created our annual card.

But I only ordered a limited amount and decided NOT to kill myself and send them to the entire list. We're in the States for such a short time, so I'm only willing to commit a few hours to these suckers, not two days or a full week.

Are holiday cards even still a thing? Especially in the age of Facebook and Instagram. The number of cards we received this year was much fewer than in previous years. And, sustainably-speaking, they are a large use of resources for something that will ultimately be trashed.

Regardless, it does help me feel a small connection to friends and family I haven't gotten to spend time with this year; get a glimpse of their families and where they are, maybe update addresses and ages. etc. It's a "spreading joy" thing, which is big for me this time of year.

Anyway, I have yet to even get them in the mail and we fly back to Paris in a few days, so the clock is ticking.

SO, if you don't receive a holiday card from us in the mail, know you're still in my heart and more importantly on my distro list for next year.

Happy 2019!



Related posts:
Other holiday-related ramblings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.