Skip to main content

Local Eaters!

In the long list of goals for leaving urban New Jersey and moving to suburban Illinois (and there were quite a few things on that list) "finding local food sources" was high on the list. Sure, we had a pretty good farmer's market in Montclair, but I wanted the farms to be closer and the food to be available all year.

Well, the all-year thing will have to wait until we move back to California (in my dreams) but for now I can say that I've achieved that goal in a two ways ... so far.

Simply. The. Best.
One: MILK! I'm completely obsessed with Oberweis milk. Sure, it's a chain of dairy stores around Chicagoland but they are committed to locally-sourced milk from cows not treated with bovine growth hormone. (The hormone that makes cows produce more, but is getting passed into the milk and causing issues for little girls. Go read up on it, it's troubling.)

And the milk is DELICIOUS. I'm a bit of milk snob. I don't like the cardboard aftertaste and I can tell if it's been on a truck too long. This is fresh. They offer the milk in these cute glass bottles, make cheese and yogurt and ICE CREAM. All fabulous. The kids like the chocolate milk the most.

They also have home delivery that I haven't signed up for ... yet.

Two: EGGS! It's no secret that I want to have my own laying chickens. I day dream about the kids chasing the hens around the yard and feeding them in wooden clogs like Cinderella. Sigh. Also, fresh eggs from non-farmed chickens are healthier and much tastier. Enter Dave's work colleague who bought a hobby farm a few years ago just up the street and has 6 or 7 chickens -- and more eggs than he can eat each week. So we got added to his "route." His eggs arrive in a few different colors, including a light blue, and are absolutely yummy.

Recently, I did a little taste test with one supermarket egg (from an Illinois farm) and the fresh ones. The difference is noticeable -- down to the color of the yoke. His are super-bright!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the spring when local farmers (I pass enough farmland each week) come out to sell their harvest. Perhaps via a CSA or farm co-op. Wish me luck! Until then, stop by for some milk and eggs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.