Skip to main content

Menu Planning Lessons Learned

With soccer season finally over (I have mixed feelings about this), I'll now have some extra time to get back to real menu planning. During soccer season, my weekly dinner menus heavily rely on frozen nuggets and veggies heated in the microwave -- what more can a working mom who gets home from soccer practice at 7pm do?

Do you create weekly dinner menus? It's a life-changer. No joke. You'll spend less at the grocery store, throw out less food and help maintain a healthy diet. Plus, silence that nagging "what am I going to make for dinner tonight" question that runs on repeat on your drive home. It's all planned, sister!

But it requires dedication. You can't plan a taco night and decide that evening you're in the mood for pizza. No sir! It's on the menu so YOU GET yourself in the mood to eat that taco. (!!)

I sit down to plan meals on Saturday or Sunday morning -- depending on when I'm grocery shopping. First, I take a look at the week ahead and take note: what's on the schedule? What days will I be driving somewhere? When is hubby away for a business trip or work dinner?

Then, I think about what I want to make. For this step, it's important to divide meals into three different categories.
  1. Tried and True - these are your back-pocket meals you can make fast and well. 
  2. Developing Favorites - these are the recipes you're trying to master. 
  3. Totally New - obviously, new recipes. 
Once you're established your repertoire, it's time to slot in the dishes. Here are my Meal Planning rules I've learned the hard way: 
  • Don't pick more than one Totally New recipes in a week (maybe two if one is on a weekend or super easy). 
  • And put that Totally New item near the beginning of the week. That way, all the items you bought for the recipe are ready (read: uneaten). And you have backup food available in case the recipe is a total flop. 
  • Mix the rest of the nights with your Developing dishes and Tried and Trues. For example, if you're planning to get in a workout before dinner, slot in a reliably quick Tried and True for the night.
  • I also have two themed nights: Thursday is homemade pizza night and Wednesday is usually pasta night - in deference to the two little people who live in the house. This is useful, as I have two less days a week to be creative. 
Once you're all plotted out for the week, make the accompanying grocery list. Include only the food you'll need to accomplish each dish. I make A LOT of lunches during the week, too. So the usual lunch supplies also make it on my grocery list. (You won't believe how much this cuts from your grocery cart and final bill.)

All the magazines tell you to prep your veggies once you return from the grocery store. Like chop up the 1 cup of onions you'll need for Tuesday's soup. As much as I love this idea, it's just beyond me. I aspire to be so organized. Like those parents who make lunches the night before. Or even put cut-up fruit and snacks in little baggies at the beginning of the week. These are my superheroes, people.

It's just a matter of execution now. Follow through on your meal planning and all will be well. But don't sweat it if one night you fall off your plans and serve cereal to your kids because work was hell. Life happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.