Menu Planning Lessons Learned

With soccer season finally over (I have mixed feelings about this), I'll now have some extra time to get back to real menu planning. During soccer season, my weekly dinner menus heavily rely on frozen nuggets and veggies heated in the microwave -- what more can a working mom who gets home from soccer practice at 7pm do?

Do you create weekly dinner menus? It's a life-changer. No joke. You'll spend less at the grocery store, throw out less food and help maintain a healthy diet. Plus, silence that nagging "what am I going to make for dinner tonight" question that runs on repeat on your drive home. It's all planned, sister!

But it requires dedication. You can't plan a taco night and decide that evening you're in the mood for pizza. No sir! It's on the menu so YOU GET yourself in the mood to eat that taco. (!!)

I sit down to plan meals on Saturday or Sunday morning -- depending on when I'm grocery shopping. First, I take a look at the week ahead and take note: what's on the schedule? What days will I be driving somewhere? When is hubby away for a business trip or work dinner?

Then, I think about what I want to make. For this step, it's important to divide meals into three different categories.
  1. Tried and True - these are your back-pocket meals you can make fast and well. 
  2. Developing Favorites - these are the recipes you're trying to master. 
  3. Totally New - obviously, new recipes. 
Once you're established your repertoire, it's time to slot in the dishes. Here are my Meal Planning rules I've learned the hard way: 
  • Don't pick more than one Totally New recipes in a week (maybe two if one is on a weekend or super easy). 
  • And put that Totally New item near the beginning of the week. That way, all the items you bought for the recipe are ready (read: uneaten). And you have backup food available in case the recipe is a total flop. 
  • Mix the rest of the nights with your Developing dishes and Tried and Trues. For example, if you're planning to get in a workout before dinner, slot in a reliably quick Tried and True for the night.
  • I also have two themed nights: Thursday is homemade pizza night and Wednesday is usually pasta night - in deference to the two little people who live in the house. This is useful, as I have two less days a week to be creative. 
Once you're all plotted out for the week, make the accompanying grocery list. Include only the food you'll need to accomplish each dish. I make A LOT of lunches during the week, too. So the usual lunch supplies also make it on my grocery list. (You won't believe how much this cuts from your grocery cart and final bill.)

All the magazines tell you to prep your veggies once you return from the grocery store. Like chop up the 1 cup of onions you'll need for Tuesday's soup. As much as I love this idea, it's just beyond me. I aspire to be so organized. Like those parents who make lunches the night before. Or even put cut-up fruit and snacks in little baggies at the beginning of the week. These are my superheroes, people.

It's just a matter of execution now. Follow through on your meal planning and all will be well. But don't sweat it if one night you fall off your plans and serve cereal to your kids because work was hell. Life happens.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project