Not Sorry to See You Go

There's been a lot of headlines about what "Millennials are Killing!!!!!!" But, when I look at some things on the different lists, I think some have just reached their appropriate end. Like fabric softener -- what even is that?! Does anyone still use it?

I went through a bunch of lists (links below) and pulled out a few items I thought were awesome (yes!) or just interesting. What industries/items are millennials killing ...
  • Chewing gum - I'm totally behind this. If you know me, you know I hate gum. (And chewed-up gum makes me nauseous. Blargh!) 👍
  • Bars of soap - Millennials think they're "gross." I have always agreed, but now as I am looking for no-plastic products, soap bars are a much better environmental choice. 👎
  • Banks - they distrust them. But I think this trend is really more about tech killing the bank teller -- I can do just about anything on my banking app. 👍
  • Department Stores - Again, this just seems like the appropriate end-of-life for places like Macy's and Sears. Plus, their big stores are usually eye-sores and their customer service usually stinks. Kill 'em. 👍
  • Napkins - We use paper towels, though I'm trying to break the habit and use cloth. Take napkins away and I probably wouldn't even notice. 👍
  • Casual chain restaurants - Chilis? Ruby Tuesdays? TGI Fridays? I have no use for you. I'm with the millennials who would much rather support local restauranteurs than a corporation, thanks. 👍
  • Cereal - Whoa there, Millennials! Pump the brakes. Cereal is delicious. They're reporting cereal is "too much work and too sugary." No way. Do not take my Cheerios. Plus, my kids will follow this generation and bring it back with a vengence. 👎
  • Diamonds - Though there are some mixed views on this one. It seems to me there are enough "vintage" and other gems out there that we can stop mining for more. Plus, this industry is pretty vile ... the term "blood diamonds" comes to mind. So, kill it! 👍 
  • Traditional gyms - They'd rather go to small, community-focused classes. We can get behind that, since that's what yoga studios and Dave's CrossFit boxes are all about. Plus, those mega-gyms are usually really ugly -- inside and out. 👍
  • Motorcycles - Um. ok. 👍
  • Thong underwear - Yup, cool with that. 👍
  • The top sheet - This one is controversial. Millennials say it's "too much work" to launder this sheet and make up the bed. They just clean the duvet cover more often. As someone who hates putting on a duvet cover, I'm going to have to disagree. 👎
Interesting, right?

For me, there's too many products out there, anyway. And some I really just have no use for (disposable clothing companies, artificially-scented anything, fast food, soda, etc.) So, I'm completely comfortable for industries/products dying out. Especially the outdated ones.

And hey! It wouldn't be the first time an industry dies out (toga designers were probably the THING in Roman times) so why are we even making a big deal? Like overly-fancy Jell-o molds now only found at flea markets, it's time to let them go.


Related links: 
The Guardian: The Millennials and Frozen Food
Forbes: 5 Industries Millennials are Killing and Why
Business Insider: Millennials are Killing in 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project