Workshopping My Five-Year Goals

Other than resolutions and the odd ambition here and there, I haven't thought much about my goals or an ideal 5-year-plan in a few years. But, the last time I did -- in April 2014 -- I aimed high and you wouldn't BELIEVE how many of those goals I hit. Here's that post. (Living in Paris is actually on there. Crazy!)

I sincerely believe there's power or magic in saying your goals OUT LOUD and often. Publicly. I've read this before but didn't buy it until recently.

I'm currently living the life of a Parisienne homemaker, so it's the perfect opportunity to really dig into some of my ambitions. What do I seriously want to pursue? Either here in Paris or when I get back to the States.

It's a lot to consider. So here's my game plan:

Step 1: Gather a list of what I'm passionately interested in. It's a big question: What deeply interests me? Looking at what I write about on this blog is a good start. And looking at past year's goals and New Year's Resolutions. I'm also researching a few topics, such as sustainability and home DIY that I've been digging.

Podcasts such as NPR's Ted Radio Hour and GOOP (the Oprah interview is amazingly deep) are inspirational, especially listening to others pursuing their big goals.

The important thing is this list should be informal and crazy. All ideas welcome: Big and small.

Step 2: Edit the list. Delete (or maybe just "parking lot") any ideas that I don't actually/passionately want to pursue. For example: Drinking more water is a noble goal, but it's not a BIG ambition of mine, so it drops off the list. You get the idea.

Step 3: Is all about next steps. Look at the list and think about what the next, realistic, steps are in that goal. List those out. What would it take? Time? Money? A supporter? What skills are needed? What's the timeline? Will it take a few weeks? What don't I have? Make those task lists as detailed as I can so I can look at each objectively in the next step.

Step 4: Review one last time. Make sure the items are really my truest, highest objectives. And the tasks are doable. Because the next step is a big one ...

Step 5: PUBLISH THE LIST. This puts those goals out into the universe and commits me to follow after them. Gah! I'll blog about them, talk to family and friends about them, and move slowly in that direction. I've found this to be true: once I start talking about ambitions, people respond. Maybe quietly or subconsciously, or loudly, or even just to remind me ... but it helped me achieve what I was after.

There's a pretty well-known term for that: Manifest your reality. Or, to use a business cliche: Dress for the job you want. It's all about what you set your mind to.

Step 6: Move into the direction of my goals. Slow, steady is the name of the game. Also, some goals will be timed for when we return to the States. So, there's no over-night "manifestations into reality" here. The things that stick take time. Also important, allow myself grace to know when something just isn't going to work out. It's a journey, right?

What is on your 5-year goals list?



Related posts:
Other goal-labeled posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project