Banana Chips are Basically Free, and Other Things I've Discovered

I'm on this "journey" to make my kitchen very close to plastic-free. And the first step has turned into becoming more aware of the plastic I'm buying -- spoiler alert: it's a WHOLE LOT MORE than I thought. I didn't think it was going to be easy, but I didn't think I was buying as much plastic as I was. Yikes! So, now, while I'm out doing my shopping, I'm discovering so much by just being more aware. Here are some things I'm learning:

Banana chips are basically free. Why didn't I know this? I can fill my 1 liter glass jar with banana chips for about 2€. That's crazy cheap. I'm now campaigning to get my kids addicted to banana chips.

I'm also pushing dried fruit (apples are like candy) nuts and granola, staples from the bulk bins that are also inexpensive. Tip: nuts are cheaper if you get them in mixes ... I don't understand why.

You'll find bulk bins in the least likely places. There's a chain of mainstream supermarkets in Paris called Franprix, and they're your standard corner markets where you can buy toilet paper, milk and batteries in one trip. I walked into a newer-looking location this week (near my yoga class) and discovered bulk bins, a refillable soap and laundry detergent station and refillable wine, with glass bottle! Made my week!

Seeking bulk bins has basically become a hobby. While in Italy last week, I checked out a local grocery store and surveyed what products they sell in bulk. I'll admit to exclaiming: "they sell shampoo in bulk?! Lucky!" This is who I am now. 

I also have an ongoing list of items I find challenging to buy package free. Currently, that list includes pasta, coffee and cereal the girls will eat. So I have a list of organic/bulk markets around Paris to check out, kind of like a food scavenger hunt.

Bulk doesn't need to mean BIG quantity. I think that's something I assumed when I started. They're called "bulk" so you can buy a LOT of quinoa or something. But that's not the case. You can buy one cup or even just a handful of something (as I've been doing to test out what we will eat).

It may feel like you're the only person using the bulk bins. Like at that Franprix, I bought a small bag of bulk-bin beans and the checkout guy had no idea where they even came from (!). But the more I buy them, the more available they become. Right? And the more other people see me using the bins and realize they're not just there for decoration. Hi, there's food in there.

Filling up my glass jars after a shopping trip is rewarding and relaxing. They just look prettier on the cabinet shelves. Not a group of product boxes screaming marketing at you and not telling you how many crackers are left in that box. Could be full, could be two left ... who knows?!

The Inside of My Cabinet
I'm assessing the packaged food I do buy in a new way. Like I posted early, I try to buy glass jars over plastic because they are recyclable (more times) and reusable around the house, should I need another pencil/toothbrush/marker holder. But this week I found myself looking at a shelf of tomato sauce and deciding jars that don't taper at the top are way more multipurpose! Nerd alert!

As I said when I started buying less packaging, I'm in no rush. I'm not going to trash all the plastic in my kitchen or go cold-turkey. Because everything I buy I still have to cook/prepare for my family. And we're all used to semi-packaged meals. But, I'm this for the long haul. So, the process and this discovery has been a lot of fun.



Related posts: 
More sustainable, plastic-free posts
Ways I "Reuse" jars and other things 
My Zero-Waste Ideas Pinterest board 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project