'Blood, Bones and Butter' Audiobook Review

Audiobook: Blood, Bones and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef by Gabrielle Hamilton
Read by: Gabrielle Hamilton
Genre: Memoir

I was turned off by "blood" in the title, but the subhead made me wonder "what made her so reluctant?" And who wouldn't want to get some insider tips from a recognized chef. So, I checked it out.

I never got my answer about the "reluctant" part, but enjoyed hearing about Gabrielle's twisty-turny life very much. And the blood was minimal.

Gabrielle runs a pretty successful small restaurant in the East Village and has for several years. The restuarant business in NYC is cut-throat, so anyone who manages to stay open and profitable in that business, has my admiration. And her journey to Prune includes underaged waitressing (drugs), line-cooking, high-society catering and even chefing at an upstate camp.

So what I didn't understand is how Gabrielle considered herself reluctant. She's in a kitchen or restaurant starting at 14, when she's left to fend for herself after her parent's divorced. If she was so reluctant, she should have taken up teaching math or selling shoes. 

The Italian husband was a storyline I wasn't expecting, but one I enjoyed following. The chapters in Italy visiting family were rich with flavor.

The book is read by Gabrielle and, while her voice stays in this clear, this-is-how-it-went-down directness, it was missing some natural inflection. Even books read by actors show some emotion. But Gabrielle is utterly unapologetic, even when relying some dark days. And her impression of her husband deep Italian accent is comic.

Grade: Greenlight

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project