Parenting Goals - Aspirations for a Friday Morning

In the Stacks
I read once that parenting was all about preparing your kids to leave you. Which is a depressing thought. But true, I guess. We want our daughters to be functioning adults contributing to society, when all is said and done.

So, if I get across these concepts (in no particular order) by the time they are teenagers (and no longer listening to me), I'll feel like I (mostly) did my job as a parent:

The Library is a Cool Place -- because they are. There's magic in books.

It's Cool Just to Be Who You Are -- I should just wish for a family unicorns to move into my basement because girls are a mess with this stuff, but a mom can dream. Include being independent in this one, too.

Food comes from farms, not factories. Duh, right? But you'd be surprised how disconnected a french fry is from the potato in my pantry. Also include good food choice. They don't always need to pick the right ones, but at least they're aware.

Soda and gum are gross. As is all fast food restaurants. I know, I'm no fun but read up on these things and you'll get on board.

The World Is a Big Place ... AND You have a safe place in it. Learning the world is a big place with lots of exciting places to visit is so important. We love to travel as a family and explore. But, it's also important to make sure they feel like they have a place in it, and not overwhelmed by it. Also, learning about the history of a place is pretty amazing, too.

Hard Work will Get you Anywhere. This is the often cliched: Do what you love, love what you do. Focus on your goals. Practicing will lead to better playing -- in all things.

School is cool. We have a neighbor who loudly talks about how much she hates school. It annoys me. School is hard, yes, but it's a privilege and will take you places. Also, college isn't an option but what naturally follows high school.

Teams are good.  Families, soccer teams, bands, classmates -- we have to work together.

I'm sure there are about 100 more items I could add to this list, but that will do it for a Friday morning. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Books Read ... So Far This Year