Skip to main content

Kid's Art Gallery Project

Here's a super simple project I did in the upstairs hallway that was inspired by Pinterest. And, best of all, it cost me NOTHING. Gratis!

Problem: Way too many pieces of art came home from the kids after school got out and over the summer from day camps.

Also a Problem: The wall in the upstairs hallway was a mess. I don't love the shelves -- they're too cluttered an undefined (and unstyled). And though I love the antique sofa (dubbed "The Reading Couch") that I got from my Grandmother-in-law, it's not all that well cared for, poor lady.

After swiping through Pinterest I found a picture of an art gallery "board" that contained all the things I had around the house. Kinda. It would certainly have my own flair.

Detail View!
Materials: A pine board left over from the board and batten project in the entryway. Two eye hooks -- or more preciously "D-Ring Hangers" from a picture hanging kit. Two hooks I got to hang ferns from the front-porch ceiling and never did. (In hindsight, they probably wouldn't have held the plants.) And string from a spool I got from the Michaels clearance bin a few weeks ago ... just because.

The Process: ... is pretty simple. I did the D-Ring hangers first. Then, twist in the hooks and attached the string.

Pro Tip: Attach that string tight. Artwork is heavy!

And viola! That weird, empty wall in the upstairs hallway becomes a cluttered gallery of kid's art.

The Finished Project!
In the future, I can see: a) the wall color changing ... I'm slowly falling out of love with this color. b) cleaning out the art and showing just two or three pieces. Or even some photos.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.