Skip to main content

Paperwork and Dogs - Paris Friday Update

Paperwork - In the Details
This week is all about paperwork. We need to have all kinds of documents at the ready for our visit to the French consulate next week to apply for our resident visas -- called "Salarié détaché ICT (famille)." These will allow us to get an apartment rental in Paris, and legally live there for the duration of our stay.

We've gotten some help, of course, but I can't help but think this is probably a deterrent to a lot of people who think about working abroad. It's a lot of scrutiny, standing in lines, not to mention the language barrier -- these forms don't come in English.

I think I have just about everything I need ... all that I have left to gather is passport pictures of all four of us.

So Long Dogs
Speaking of, so yes, it will just be the four of us making the move to Paris. We've talked to a few folks and they all recommended NOT bringing the dogs.

Why? Mostly because there's a quarantine period for animals moving from country to country, meaning they sit in an office for a few weeks until the government is sure they are not sick. What we've heard is some dogs don't make it out "the same."

At 8 year-old, it doesn't make sense to attempt this with Benny. And Lando, who might make it through because he's young, would then have to deal with living in a small Paris apartment with no backyard. Not to mention, we want to travel liberally and that would be more difficult/costly if we had an animal to care for.

I've initiated the hunt for new homes for both of them, starting with our friend group and moving out from there. It would be wonderful if we got to hear some news about them from time to time, but not necessary. Mostly, I just want them to find good homes.

More Paris news next week!




Related posts: 
The Paris Move
All my Travel stories

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.