The Story of Paris

I was here at Round Lake beach in Clifton Park, NY where Alice and I were staying for a week of sightseeing while Leah was at camp in the Berkshires. This was my view when my cell rang and David gave me the news: he got the Paris assignment; we're moving to Paris.


Of course I wanted to jump and holler and cartwheel and high-five everyone on the beach, but we decided to keep the news under wraps. Let's not tell the girls yet, either. Even though we'd been talking about it in an abstract, "maybe someday" kind of way since he interviewed for the job in May. But we needed to review the offer and accept first. Wait until it was official before spilling the beans.

So instead, I squealed into the phone while Alice was out of earshot. And walked into the lake as far as I could go and told the water: "Hi, I'm going to live in Paris. This has been my dream for years. And now we're going. We're going to live in Paris."

Even as the words left my lips they felt unreal. Is this crazy? Who does this? Who just moves to Paris?

Questions rushed in like the waves, when? school? friends? the house? the dogs? French? but I guessed that would all get figured out in the months it took to accept the offer, and get the visas needed to live and work in a foreign country. There would be time to worry about all that later.

For now: I'm moving my family to Paris.


** Check back every Friday for a weekly round up of Paris updates and news. 





Related posts:
All the Paris Move stories
Our last trip to Paris
More about our Berkshires weeks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project