Skip to main content

My Paint Chip Art!

File this as another upcycle art project that I'm so fond of these days. With the Paris move, I'm looking for ways to get things OUT of my house. Some things I'm just tossing, but if it's usable material, I'm going to use it.

So you know those paint chips AKA "color samples" you collect at the hardware store? Well, as I've painted every room of this house, I have about a million. Maybe billion. And they're all such pretty colors, of course. This summer, Leah brought home a little mosaic art project that used these paint chips and I thought, how genius! What a great way to put those little, colorful paper to use.

Voila ... I created these ...


I had these largish white frames that I picked up at IKEA. (I'm pretty sure it's impossible to go to IKEA without buying frames, there might be a way, but I haven't found it.) And I decided to use them to replace the two very old boxwood wreathes above my mantel in the family room.

Obviously, I have a ton of green and blue samples, since those are my favorite colors and what I used in the family room. Perfect-o.

I turned on a podcast ("The New Paris," in case you're wondering), and started clipping and glueing away.

Chips and More Chips
The funny thing is, I've been into collaging since high school, so the skill of arranging by color and sizes is nothing new to me.

Green Chip Art
 I'm pretty excited about how they turned out. SO excited I bought two more frames from Michaels (at 50% off ... again, you can't leave Michaels without 50% off items ... not possible) and am excited to try a new color direction.

Yes, this week I'm feeling like an artist!



Related posts:
All my "reuse" posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.