Skip to main content

Neighborhoods and Kitchens - Paris Friday Update

Where Will We Live? 

If you talked to me this week, you probably heard me babbling about Paris neighborhoods. We're looking at possible schools, timing commutes, touristy vs. non-touristy spots, and hoping to triangulate a few target neighborhoods. Our exploratory trip is coming up, so I want to have a list of arrondissements to walk through, along with schools and apartments.

Paris Arrondissements -- Study Up!

The Kitchen?

One of the most colorful stories our friends who lived in Paris told us was about their kitchen battle. It's unusual to find a rental apartment WITH a kitchen. And their rental didn't have a kitchen, just an empty room with some visible plumbing. Their tale of spending hours at Ikea France, waiting months to get delivery and installation, all the while using a patchwork rental kitchen really got me nervous.

How does one go about life with school-aged kids and no kitchen? I realize we're in a city with restaurants on every block, but yikes. That's a pretty big inconvenience.

But then I started thinking ... I have always wanted to redesign my own kitchen. I love the modern kitchens I see in the Ikea catalog with the open shelves above the counters, produce baskets hanging from the walls, and deep drawers for plates, bowls and other necessities. And now here was my opportunity to customize my own kitchen. In Paris!

If I know I'm going to get something like this (in a smaller space, I know), I might be willing to deal with the inconvenience.


This served as just a reminder to keep an open mind when things get bumpy. And they will surely be bumps coming my way.

That's the Friday Paris update. See you next week.



Related posts:
Pinterest: Decor I Adore
The Paris Move
All my Travel stories



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.