Skip to main content

My Construction Theory

First it was a scaffold, than hammering/drilling all day and bags of debris being pulled from the building. Than, yesterday, the noise got a lot closer. And today, it was just outside my door.

If you've been following my InstaStories, you know what I'm talking about. Our apartment here in Paris is apparently going through some renovations. And, because my French is limited (and we've gotten no notification from our landlord), I actually don't know what the grand plan is. 

But I've got a theory, based on what I've been able to piece together. 

In the courtyard of our building (which was built in 1903) there is a fire escape/external staircase that goes all the way to the top floor. It's likely the "domestic stairs" used by the maids and cooks who lived in studio-like apartments in the attic of these buildings, and accessed the home they worked in by the kitchen door. Generally, servants were not allowed to use the doors and staircases reserved for their employers. All very interesting ... but our external staircase is hanging off the building and being held up by unsteady iron posts. 

I've walked on it a sum total of one time and I feared for my life. 

Obviously, something needs to be fixed. 

So a few months ago, this scaffold was (very loudly) erected next to it. And there was a lot of work being done on the top floors. And a lot of debris, made obvious by the bags and bags of rubble being removed from the building each day. 

I never went up to investigate. Maybe I should have. 

Because today, they showed up to make an access door to our gas meter, which is only accessible using the outside/courtyard staircase. The one that's about to collapse. 

My theory is once they've finished with all these new access points, the stairway will become no longer necessary and they'll pull that down. 

Adds up, right? 

Now, this all remains to be seen. I'll keep you posted. 

Evidence: 

No. 1: After a morning of very loud drilling, this appeared. That silver wall is the back wall of our kitchen. Before our unit was remodeled, it would have been the door into our kitchen.
A Big Hole In The Wall
No. 2: And then the door was complete. Honestly, I was hoping for something maybe of the period. Modelings, a pretty door handle, etc. They went in a different direction.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.