Changing Diets and Parenting

I've been doing a lot of research on tweaking my diet to promote some weight loss. Now that I've got a weekly exercise routine in motion, it just makes sense to alter my eating so I'm slimming down a bit, too.

My big question is this ... how do I introduce this concept of diet change and weight loss to my girls in a healthy way? The last thing I want to do is put them on a path to yo-yo diets and body issues. But, at the same time, it's healthy to discuss diet and how food that works to feed your body, etc.

And we do talk about food, including limiting sweets at night -- they would eat a pound of ice cream if they could -- and why we add a protein or a green with each meal. So, it's not a completely new concept. I just hear stories from other women about how their mothers "obsessed over food and counting calories" and how it really changed their relationship with food and their body image and, boy, does that give me pause.

Not what I want at all.

And I'm looking to reduce carbs significantly, perhaps cut sugars, and maybe even attempt keto! (Sidebar: Which, the more I read in the two keto books I purchased, the more nuts it sounds. I mean, the side effects almost makes it not worth the effort. I started a Keto Pinterest board here.) But I think it will be a noticeable change in the kitchen, so it will need to be addressed.

My Keto Pinterest Board
Years ago, when the kids were babies, my husband and I went on the Fat Flush diet. Dave lost 50 lbs and it completely jump-started his exercise habit. It was awesome. But I fell off a week in, mostly because the deprivation was making me mean. We'd jump all over each other, and worse, the kids. Nope. Not what I'm looking for either.

I guess I'll go slow. Avoid words like "fat" and "diet" and anything that puts the focus on unwanted pounds or inches on my body. And focus on nutritional stuff, the benefits, the differences, etc. If I keep it low-key and casual, I'm guessing it will be just another "boring topic mom talks about." And, with any luck, not scar them for life.

In parenting, I guess that's the best we can hope for!

More details about the diet when I get it sorted.



Related posts:
More Parenting posts
That time I lost 10 lbs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project