D•L•A Forever

While we were in Illinois this summer, Dave and I took a night away from the girls and stayed in a hotel in downtown Chicago. We had tickets to see Pearl Jam at Wrigley and just needed a little break from parenting. It's so important to date your husband, right? Marriage is tough.

Anyway, it was a pretty awesome night away, with the concert and a delicious dinner without the banter or small kids, but we had been talking about getting tattoos together. Dave got his first tattoo last year after talking about getting one for years -- maybe a decade -- and had been thinking of expanding or getting another one. So we thought, maybe we should get one together, while in Chicago. We get a little crazy when left unsupervised.

I woke up the morning before we drove down to Chicago with an idea. Originally, I thought about putting an inspirational quote or powerful word (such as "breath" or "be present"). But that morning I thought about putting our family initials somewhere I could see them and be inspired by them. We're just a little unit, you know?

We picked a typewriter script because we met in journalism school. And the dots just looked better than slashes or commas. Circles are never-ending, right? (Obviously, Dave got a J.)

It's been months now and I'm pretty pleased with what I got. Sometimes, when I'm doing a difficult move in yoga or lifting something heavy at CrossFIT, I see those initials and remember why I'm there. Why I'm working so hard to stay fit. Why I need to keep going.

The tattoo on my forearm is a steady reminder of what's permanent in my life.

And I still love it months later.



Related links:
I started a Pinterest board with other tat ideas here
Other Parenthood posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project