Skip to main content

Doing Too Much and Not Enough

Now that my girls are school-aged and don't need me as much to stay alive, I'm in a constant see-saw of feeling like I'm not doing enough and like I'm doing way too much.

When they were little, it was a constant stream of making sure they were fed, changed, clean, content, polite, active, rested, etc. Babies have a basic daily schedule that, over time, becomes more flexible. But now, that schedule is almost adult-ish, it revolves around school, meals and getting to bed on time.

At the same time, I'm now in the business of raising adults, teaching them the basics of living, being independent and expecting more from yourself. But, at the same time, they're still kids and not great at some of the most basic domestic or life skills.

Plus, I'm a stay-at-home-mom, so I have the ability to do their laundry, clean their rooms and wash up after them because it's what I do anyway.

Thus, my constant battle.

Today, I made them breakfast, but they made their own school lunch (granted, from items I bought at the store yesterday with an eye for them to be lunch supplies, but still...). They got themselves dressed and ran a brush through their own hair. I'll make them dinner, because I like to, and I'll do their dishes and I'll be the one to say "time for bed!" and so on.

And somedays, I get into bed and think, I'm doing way too much. And I'm a horrible nag. "Is your laundry folded?" "Fold your laundry. Now, please." Repeat. Repeat. Gah! I hate that. Am I expecting too much?

Then I fold the laundry after days of nagging just to empty the basket so I can use it for other stuff and I go to bed feeling like they'll never be functioning adults. "They can't even fold their own laundry!" Interchange other domestic life skills for laundry and you get the idea.

It's a lose-lose battle most days, I guess.

I really thought once they were school-aged parenting would be "easier." And sure, I'm no longer dealing with poo or spoon-feeding grumpy toddlers, but it's NOT gotten all that much easier. Tantrums, grumpiness and refusing to touch "dirty" dishes is still very much a thing. So, here we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.