Books Read in 2020

What can you say about 2020 that hasn't already been said? It was NOT a normal year. With mandates to "shelter in place" that cancelled all our travel and weekend plans, you'd think I would have gotten a bit more reading time. But, it was a pretty normal book year. I did break some of my rules about ordering more physical books than usual, thanks to the libraries being closed and wanting to help out a black-owned independent bookstore in Chicago. 

I'm starting this year's list with my four favorites. Books I would HIGHLY recommend, if you're looking for something to read. Than, I'll bold other good picks, too, that are in no particular order. 

To Note: As usual there's probably 30 or so Kindle romances that I read too quickly and didn't make much of an impression on me or didn't finish all the way, so they're not listed. 

  1. Fable: A Novel by Adrienne Young - my favorite book of the year, hands down. Such good world-building, incredible story of perseverance and stubbornness.  
  2. Tweet Cute by Emma Lord - my second favorite book of the year, super-cute YA romance. 
  3. The Inheritance Games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - she's a powerhouse YA author that I've never read but this book was twisty and un-put-downable. Third favorite book of the year. 
  4. Beach Read by Emily Henry - I almost left this title off and it was just the BEST read. I laughed and cried. Best romcom I read in 2020, hands down. 
  5. The Court of Miracles by - read on our RV trip in a matter of days. Great world-building in Paris! 
  6. Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill - also read on the RV trip in days. Good action, not a great ending. Haven't read the sequel yet. 
  7. The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black - Ms. Black is so twisty and dark, this book takes place in her fey land she's built for The Folk of Air series and it's a book you just fall into. 
  8. The Power Source by Lauren Roxburgh - a nonfiction about the power of meditation and mindfulness.
  9. Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi - this reminded me a lot of the Rainbow Rowell book Fangirl, also about an awkward college freshman figuring it all out. Would recommend. 
  10. Mr. Malcolm's List by Suzanne Allain - it's going to be a Netflix movie but honestly, it's not the best Regency romance so I don't know why. 
  11. The Girl With the Make-Believe Husband by Julia Quinn - a historic romance series (Bridgertons Prequel) I've been reading. 
  12. Because of Miss Bridgerton: A Bridgerton Prequel by Julia Quinn - Netflix is making this Bridgerton series into a show, so I've been reading a few books in this series.
  13. The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller - an action-packed YA fantasy with a decent romance. I listened to this on the RV trip during my turn to drive. 
  14. Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh - I bought years ago and finally finished this year. 
  15. Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist Book 2) by Renee Ahdieh - so I read the second one, because I got hooked by the first. Great female heroine. 
  16. Chasing Cassandra: The Ravenels by Lisa Kleypas - the latest from my favorite romance writer -- and this series is really good.  
  17. The Feminist Agenda of Jemima Kincaid by Kate Hattemer - not great YA story and I so wanted it to be better. Older teen, for sure. 
  18. The Honey-Don't List by Christina Lauren - their books are sometimes great and sometimes OK. This one was just OK. 
  19. My Favorite Half-Night Stand by Christina Lauren - on the other hand, this one was super entertaining. 
  20. Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love by Numbers Book 2) by Sarah MacLean
  21. Daring and the Duke: Bareknuckle Bastards Book III by Sarah MacLean - another great romance series in progress. The next one is due soon .. I hope. 
  22. The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name by Brian Muraresku - written like fiction, and so exciting and mind-blowing. Fun non-fiction treasure hunt. 
  23. SuperLife: The 5 Simple Fixes That Will Make You Healthy, Fit and Eternally Awesome by Darin Olien - after watching his Netflix show with Zac Ephron, Darin is so personable and his advice/research makes so much sense. 
  24. The Reset Diet by Harley Pasternack - Never done a fast or "cleanse" but this one, relies mostly on smoothies, made so much sense after hearing him on a podcast. Dave and I did it over the summer and I would recommend. 
  25. Winterbourne Home for Vengeance and Valor by Ally Carter - my favorite YA author did a middle-grader mystery and it's cute and so fun. 
  26. Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis by Ada Calhoun - a life-affirming book about my generation and the unrealistic ideals we were fed. Super thought-provoking. 
  27. Good Morning, I Love You: Mindfulness and Self-Compassion Practices by Shauna Shapiro - great practices for tough times, really helps get you back on track.


Honorable Mentions (cookbooks and other nonfiction): 
  1. A Half the Sugar, All the Love by Jennifer Tyler Lee - Leah makes the most delicious chocolate chip cookies from this book.  
  2. Meatless by Martha Stewart Living - Alice officially became a vegetarian this year, and this book is helpful, though I'm not digging too many of the recipes just yet. 


Related links: 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project