The Neighbor's Shed - What Goes On?

My backyard neighbor has a shed.

Just picture a normal-looking shed with a coiled hose hanging from the door. It's a few feet from their house's backdoor and about as big as a lawnmower, wheelbarrow and a few bags of fertilizer. I can see it from my kitchen sink. It's very average-looking. But it's the center of a giant mystery.

The family that live there are just as average; Parents and a middle-school son and daughter. Sometimes I see a grandmother sitting outside. They have an above-ground pool and a young German shepherd. The Dad spends a lot of time taking care of his lawn and yard. Mom has a small circular garden.

Here's the mystery: The mother and father neighbor enter this little shed several times a day (in all seasons) for a short amount of time, closing the door tight behind them. The children and dog are not allowed in this shed. I've even seen the kids pacing, waiting for the parents to emerge.

What the HELL do they do in there?

My best guess is they disappear for a cigarette break. However, for proof there would need to be a cloud of smoke following them out of the shed -- which there is not. Ever. The smoke has to go somewhere, right?! Especially in the dead of winter.

I have come up with no other theories.

If I was a sitcom star, I would have tiptoed over there in the middle of the night and investigated, most likely getting caught by their easily-excited dog that hangs out in the backyard (perhaps one could say, guards the backyard?) and had to explain myself.

I've spoken to them, but I haven't figured out how to ask about the shed. "What do you do in that shed?" sounds, well, odd.

One more variable: About a year ago the Dad built a second shed further back from the house. (And a little closer to mine.) It looks more like a playhouse with a real front door and window. I assumed they would tear down the old shed and resume doing whatever they do in the new little house. Or maybe let the kids use it. Nope, not the case. I doubt anyone has walked in the new building since it was finished.

What is going on over there?! I'm afraid that I'll move away and never know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project