Skip to main content

Another Use for Tin Foil

I always like to read those "Other Uses" features in magazines. Real Simple does it so well. So here's my attempt at it.

I've had this lamp forever. It's had a few different shades on it, the latest was beige, and since I'm banning beige from this house (it's all over the walls) it had to go. I bought a very YELLOW lampshade a few months ago, because that's my living room accent color. However, it's not meant to fit the lamp, so it sits crooked on the base.

A Shade Askew
I've been looking at it askance for months, formulating my fix. Is there a piece at the hardware store I can buy? Will leftover Play Dough do it? The solution I finally decided on ... TIN FOIL. Eureka!

The Solution: Tin Foil
In about five minutes, I shaped the tin foil around the base of the shade, where it meets the lamp and created a customized seat for it. The tin foil easily curled around the base and secured to the shade. The result: Hooray! A straight lampshade.

Success! 
Best of all, the solution was practically free.



Related posts:
See more of my nifty solutions

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.