Backyard Planning and Stages

This weekend I started to tackle some landscaping issues ... in earnest. I decided the unseasonably cool temperatures are intended for weekend landscapers and gardeners. So here I go.

There are decidedly many more than two landscaping issues in my backyard, but I'm choosing to only focus on these for now. Projects like adding six feet of additional lawn (relocating the back-eyed susans) and removing the creeping juniper will have to wait.

Problem Area #1
In Problem Area # 1: a medium-sized pine tree (it was part of a grouping of three) died so Dave cut it down a few weekends ago. Now, I've got this even-bigger hole than before with direct views into the neighbor's yard. Fortunately, I have yet to see a single person (other than their landscapers) on this property. Also, weeds have completely taken over where there should be mulch. And the surviving spirea (on the right) is way overgrown. It's just an eyesore.

Solutions: I have to bring something that will grow tall and round to provide some privacy in the background. I'm thinking a kind of evergreen -- at least two, possibly three. Maybe a few euonymus shrubs? I planted two little spirea bushes (bottom left) and will likely add a few more. Also, transplanting some of the black-eyed Susan from the other side of the yard, where they've grown wild.

Problem Area #2
In Problem Area #2: This is the little mounded perennial bed nearest the house, under a large tree. Mom planted a bunch of bulbs last year and these Asiatic Lilies (on the right). In the background you see a (loathed) creeping juniper and some pachysandra, which I normally hate because it completely takes over but this kind hasn't expanded in the last year we've been here. There's also some yellow Daylilies. The problem spot, obviously, is a hole of nothing in the middle.

Solutions: For this spot I'm thinking color and a little height in the middle. It might be shady enough for Astilbe. And I'm planning on Salvia, which is in the sage family -- hardy and purple spires of color. Lastly, I love using sedum (or stonecrop) because it's also so hardy, flowers and is a perennial. I can get the kind of sedum that will grow low to the ground to be in the front. I'll finish it off by replacing the mulch that should be on this bed.

Off to the garden shop to see what they have. Rain in the forecast, so good weekend to get some plants into the ground.


Related links:
More BACKYARD posts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project