Leah's Broken Bed Projects

The Bed, Right When We Moved In
A few months ago, just as we were going to sleep, we jumped at the noise of Leah's bed cracking and splitting. It was pretty dramatic. The bed was about eight years old from Costco and wasn't made to be taken apart and put together as many times as we did it, so we knew the end was coming.

I tried to salvage the headboard and footboard, but eventually we decided just to get her a boxspring and frame and figure out the pretty parts later.

Sure, we were bummed about losing the bed, but OH GOLLY all that raw material for house projects. Cha-ching! Or Huzzah! Or whichever jubilation makes sense in this situation.

Our reusable assets: there was a footboard and headboard, some long side rails, the slates that held up the mattress, and the trundle parts.

I started with building a set of hooks from one of the slates that held up the mattress. Leah has been requesting a spot to display her soccer medals and you know I'm a sucker for hooks.

Here's what I did: I cut down the slate and dug through my hooks bin (am I the only one that collects hooks?) and found a few that matched. Then, using a drill, installed them onto the board and then onto the wall. Easy-peasy. And FREE!

Hooks From the Dead Bed
Then, it was on to an simple "Beach" sign. We've been slowly adding beach-themed items to Leah's room for a new decorating direction. I love those pretty farmhouse painted signs at the stores, but why spend the money!? So using another of the slates, I made my own:


Just a little white paint I had laying around the house and boom! Instant sign.

Here it is hanging over her bed. We found this "cool" tropical outdoor fabric in the remnants box at Jo-Ann's. It's standing in as a headboard for now. And oh so beachy.


And that's really just the beginning ...

I'm planning a set of shelves, a large farmhouse sign and a few chalkboards that can move around. So more to come!



Related posts: 
Here are the things I try to reuse
More "Decorating" posts



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The $80 Kitchen Pantry Update

Family Calendar Improvement

Basement Shiplap Project