Skip to main content

Is it Time to Go?

The View of the "Grand Salon" in the Sun
Lately, there's been a lot of talk about leaving Paris and returning home. For good.

Yes, we knew this Paris expat position was for a limited time and contingent on David's job placement and career growth. We're so grateful for this experience, to begin with.

Until Christmas break, our expectation was we'd finish out this school year and return to Illinois in July. But, after some meetings over winter break, it became clear that our move date will be even sooner.

At first, I was devastated. Really. I absolutely love living in Paris, despite all the negatives (post here).

For one thing, I have real friends for the first time in years. As an introvert, that's a huge thing. Being surrounded by other expat moms (and dads) who are trailing their spouses, it's easy to make fast friends -- and some meaningful friends, too. It's fabulous.

I also figured out a good SAHM schedule that balanced quality, free time and weekly gym, French lessons and volunteering. My favorite things.

One of My Windows to the World
Then there's living the urban life. I love walking to the markets, using the metro and watching people pass by our windows. I didn't realize how much I missed being in the middle of so much commotion (we live out in the rural suburbs). Plus, there's the added luxury of being in the city of PARIS, gah!, all the museums and historical landmark easily within reach. I'm trying to take better advantage of this.

Plus, we'd have to move the girls in the middle of a school year. Again. Although returning to a school where they already know people might be easier, it still would be easier to transition in the summer.

However, on further reflection, I'm also very happy and excited to return home and get back into our "real life."

So many things have been on hold -- my career, the home improvements I'm so ready for, the plastic-free changes, all of it. It's all exciting, wonderful stuff that's all been sitting on a shelf.

I mean, you should see my plans for the master bathroom renovation I've been cooking up. It's going to be WOW!

Plus, once we return to the States, we'll have to go shopping: Buy a car, adopt a new dog (after we fix the fence and backyard), buy a few pieces of furniture and re-piece together a whole new life.

Transitions are difficult, but I excel at starting over and rebuilding. In fact, after this year in Paris, I can safely say this is where I shine. And all the things I've learned this year just make me better equipped to do it all over again.

So with all these thoughts rolling through my head, I'm to the point that when we hear we're moving, it won't take long for me to be happy about it. And if they give us more time here, I'll be happy, too. For me, it's all good!



Related posts:
Read more Paris updates

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Room: The Accent Wall

Wall: Before Ever since I started to think about decorating this house -- way back in October -- I knew I wanted to do a dramatic accent wall in the family room. The room is huge with two-story ceilings. There are six windows on one wall and four more flanking the fireplace -- so this room could definitely handle a dark, rich color. A few design magazine, sites and HGTV shows later, navy blue stuck in my head. Like one design show I watch advocates, look to the clothes you wear often to help decide color -- which for me and Dave is denim. And we both have soft navy sweatshirts that are common weekend wear. Navy it was -- decided in December. So, each night since we moved in while watching TV I'd stare at the beige wall, that is slightly inset, and imagine it was navy blue. And I'd itch and wish to paint it. Now, with the new media cabinet arriving on Friday, it's finally time! Once we moved out the furniture pieces we no longer will need, we reoriented everything ...

Top 5 Spots in Tenerife: La Ortava and Hotel Mencey

3. La Ortava A charming old town in the valley above Puerto de la Cruz. In my memory, it was green and lush, but in reality it's a small village populated by ancient buildings and nice locals. The Casa de los Balcones is a popular tourist spot to pick up local lace and your own little balcony. We walked up and down the hilly streets, and discovered two stunning public gardens and a nice coffee shop. We also watched fancy-dressed wedding guests entering an old church. The bride, I'm sorry to report, was very, very late. View Down a Twisty Street in La Ortava The Famous Tourist Trap - Casa de los Balcones  Jardin Victoria With Quite a View! 4. Hotel Mencey and Parque Garcia Sanabria In Santa Cruz, the small city we used as home base, we stretched our budget a little to stay at the historic Hotel Mencey. It was a comfortable, well-maintained hotel in a great location. I love a hotel will a lot of common spaces to relax in, and this one had a bunch, all with beaut...

Thinking Spring...

Thinking Spring ... and testing out this new collage photo editor . These are from last Spring. I was taking pictures of where the daffodils were coming up (for next Spring) when this cherubic creature stepped into the garden.